AuthorTopic: Edge (Star ocean 4) sprite  (Read 4241 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Edge (Star ocean 4) sprite

on: March 27, 2009, 01:02:47 am
I recently finished doing this sprite... unlike the other ones I made before, this time I'm giving it a shot with the outline shading, and trying to work around to improve things. I have been working lately making sprites of characters with complicated outfit, and a lot of details as shown in the artwork.

*removed image*

I used this picture as reference:

http://www.starocean4.com/star-ocean-4/artwork/edge.jpg

Criticism in overall is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:04:29 pm by CharlesGabriel »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Edge (Star ocean 4) sprite

Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:09:26 am
From the first stages of construction it is clear you don't have yet an understanding of the human form that you'd need to do this sort of sprite justice. I suggest fundamental anatomy work, with pictures of real people, with a pencil on a piece of paper, that sort of thing.

On the pixel art level, the sprite is still - though more discretely - pillowshades, there's wasted - too close to each other so as to be almost indistinguishable - shades, the sprite has a very 'fullbrite' look... generally it looks flat, the pose doesn't suggest anything emotionally (whereas your reference suggests strength and motivation, assuredness).

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 01:26:28 am
From the first stages of construction it is clear you don't have yet an understanding of the human form that you'd need to do this sort of sprite justice. I suggest fundamental anatomy work, with pictures of real people, with a pencil on a piece of paper, that sort of thing.

On the pixel art level, the sprite is still - though more discretely - pillowshades, there's wasted - too close to each other so as to be almost indistinguishable - shades, the sprite has a very 'fullbrite' look... generally it looks flat, the pose doesn't suggest anything emotionally (whereas your reference suggests strength and motivation, assuredness).

About the reference artwork pictures, I only use it to memorize the details, but the sprite base/poses and everything I do it differently than how it is shown in the artwork, as well the expression. I will be reading the rest of the tutorials that I haven't read yet... I'll take a look at the human anatomy reference material as well. Also, edits on the sprite pointing out the problems, as well fixing it are really appreciated... I actually want someone who can take the time to do an edit just like the one jad did with one of my past sprites, it helps too, since I'm clearly seeing where I failed in the completed stage.

The shading and colors used thing, I haven't really made much progress on that yet, aside from keeping practicing and doing my thinking and executions on the sprites... and I always hear the lack of emotion... can someone explain it to me or redirect me to a tutorial that explains it? this concerns me, cause I need to learn everything I can in order to achieve the progress that I am aiming for. 

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:16:48 am
The reference looks like a guy, but this sprite looks like a girl.
The anatomy is off, especially the neck/chest area which is too big.
It's barely shaded.

Might make an edit later, but I'm not very good.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 02:14:35 pm
The reference looks like a guy, but this sprite looks like a girl.
The anatomy is off, especially the neck/chest area which is too big.
It's barely shaded.

Might make an edit later, but I'm not very good.

I have gotten the "girl" comment before haha. Do the edit, even if you're no expert. I like seeing different perspectives... also, what makes it look like a girl in your opinion? this could help when it comes to editing the piece on my own again.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 03:03:19 pm

About the reference artwork pictures, I only use it to memorize the details, but the sprite base/poses and everything I do it differently than how it is shown in the artwork, as well the expression. I will be reading the rest of the tutorials that I haven't read yet... I'll take a look at the human anatomy reference material as well. Also, edits on the sprite pointing out the problems, as well fixing it are really appreciated... I actually want someone who can take the time to do an edit just like the one jad did with one of my past sprites, it helps too, since I'm clearly seeing where I failed in the completed stage.

The shading and colors used thing, I haven't really made much progress on that yet, aside from keeping practicing and doing my thinking and executions on the sprites... and I always hear the lack of emotion... can someone explain it to me or redirect me to a tutorial that explains it? this concerns me, cause I need to learn everything I can in order to achieve the progress that I am aiming for. 

Editing the sprite will just put you on the path of trying to fix something that has fundamental flaws through pixel polish. Not to say you shouldn't have to deal with the pixel polish too, but the real goal should not be obstructed: Learn how to structure a human body. It's not a collection of blobs connected vaguely by touching, it is a complex mechanism made of sinue and bone. There need to be studies. Pixels will neither help or hinder them, but you should do them.

Lack of emotion: the sprite is just standing there, waiting for something to happen. The reference material has a strong, grounded expressive pose that communicates determination. In the small pixel size a sprite is, you don't have the space to do as nuanced a facial construction as your reference (though you certainly can do more than you have) you need a strong pose that suggests emotion. Here's just a length anatomy edit of what you have so you see where you're deviating from a normal form:

but that still doesn't emote anything. Here's what I think you should be moving more towards:

I'll let someone else help you with shading and pixel tech, as I said I don't think it's a priority for you. Learning to consider the human being something not just made of parts, but of emotion, is what you should be doing, if you ask me.