AuthorTopic: [WIP] 1950s isometric cars (C+C wanted)  (Read 23933 times)

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] 1950s isometric cars (C+C wanted)

Reply #20 on: December 24, 2009, 05:33:07 pm
You have some inspiring undertakings.  ::)

Your version looks more squarish than the actual car:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Saab_93
Maybe it's on purpose, since I see some of that in the Westminster too (no ref checked there though).

It's not the easiest thing to pixel anyway, and shading will help I'm sure.

It's mostly a problem with front and back fenders.

There is also a persp issue with the grille: it looks slightly to the right of the car's front middle.
I'm trying to avoid the problems associated with the first car (such as the reliance on blocky bases) and better illustrate curvatures if possible. Do elaborate on the idea of shading; I'm happy to know.

And the grille's position has been shifted one pixel to the left. Another member in Pixeljoint seems to have the same view.

I still don't know how to link text without the whole url appearing.  :(
That makes the two of us. The "user-friendly" URL interface isn't incredibly user-friendly after all. Jeremy seems to have pointed it out though.

Awesome detail :)

I'm pretty sure that the new wheel isn't in isometric perspective, the top leaning towards us.
The wheel for the second car needs to be completely redone anyway because its size isn't suitable. I'll post the new wheel when it's ready.

The first car's wheels would look awesome with the chrome effect, here's an edit on a possible direction

The AA is also pretty lacking. It's only really a problem on the edges of lots of contrast, like cream and black (i.e on the wheels)
Duly noted, but I have to point out that only the hubcap is chromed; the outer rim is part of a duller steel rim, so only the hubcaps require better reflections. Of course, If I want to apply AA on the wheels, I'll have to do the same for other edges of the entire car (as the image shows, the AA-ed wheel seems out of place in a generally jagged presentation). The question of whether AA can be used depends on whether I have the time to invest AA-ing the whole thing.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 26, 2009, 07:41:43 pm

Progress is slow.

Done a few corrections and adjustments to slightly improve the curved profile of the car. Input on how to improve curvature using shading is still welcomed.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 28, 2009, 07:05:48 am
I know this is tough in ISO, and these are coming out great so far, but do you recon you could pull things in just slightly more from the cubes?  Particularly the Saab could use just couple pixels more taper in the front end.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 28, 2009, 07:42:36 pm
I know this is tough in ISO, and these are coming out great so far, but do you recon you could pull things in just slightly more from the cubes?  Particularly the Saab could use just couple pixels more taper in the front end.
I see where you are on this. And yeah, there are a few more places that need more smoothing, seeing the car actually tapers a little from the back to the front of the engine compartment, which led me to consider thinning out the fascia by another two pixels (which should improve its semblance to references).

In the meantime, a new wheel is done (after several trial and errors), although I'm still doubtful about the rings that form the rims fitting properly to the tires. Should resume work on them after the front fascia is adjusted.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 09:51:39 pm
I think you can go further into the rounder looks, compared with those refs you posted on PJ. I'm sure this must be incredibly difficult to get right in iso.

The right fender (cars') disappears completely in the 'almost-iso' photograph. The bumper is more curved. The back is much more plunging (in the side view), which is a distinctive feature of Saabs.
The windshield corners are more rounded too.

Input on how to improve curvature using shading is still welcomed.

To be honest I didn't have very specific ideas about that! ;)
Looking harder, I can see at least one point: those lines (shades and reflections) you have on the side are very straight. On the 'iso' photo they help a lot to define the softer volumes. Same thing tor that dark shade on the left (cars') side of the roof, it's too close to the side and gives a feeling of a flatter roof than it is.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 11:41:13 pm by Manupix »

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 07:07:38 pm
I think you can go further into the rounder looks, compared with those refs you posted on PJ. I'm sure this must be incredibly difficult to get right in iso.

The right fender (cars') disappears completely in the 'almost-iso' photograph. The bumper is more curved. The back is much more plunging (in the side view), which is a distinctive feature of Saabs.
The windshield corners are more rounded too.

Partially done. Also slimmed the fascia by two pixels (which should enhance the front bumper curve), and increased the length of the car to accommodate adjustments. Hadn't started work on the rear bumper yet.

The wheels, of course, are still unfinished.

To be honest I didn't have very specific ideas about that! ;)
Looking harder, I can see at least one point: those lines (shades and reflections) you have on the side are very straight. On the 'iso' photo they help a lot to define the softer volumes. Same thing tor that dark shade on the left (cars') side of the roof, it's too close to the side and gives a feeling of a flatter roof than it is.
This will be done during further detailing.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 06:51:56 pm

Made further adjustments on headlights (moved back on pixel).

Also drafted the interior, based on a very scant number of interior shots from later model 93s. Looks like this will need some recolouring for a better transparency effect.

And the rims look flat. Definitely need to adjust that too.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 06:54:45 am

Minor adjustments to narrow down the front fascia and improve the appearance of the rims and hub caps.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 07:57:56 pm

Major amendment to narrow width down by 2-3 pixels, which should emphasise the curvatures along of the length of the car better. Hopefully this will be the last major structural modifications. Finally moving on to detailing.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:08 pm

Pretty sure the car looks much better than a month back. It certainly have that curvy appearance, although I still can't help wondering if I missed something.

Anyway, the interior has been worked with. Also worked a bit on detailing and reflections, although I might be hitting a snag with colors for interiors against one of three reflected windows.

EDIT:

Gave the car a bright red body color. Retained three shades of blue for the license plate and Saab marque over the radiator grille.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:27:28 pm by The Mozack »