AuthorTopic: A game I'm working on... Need help, please.  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Zack

• View Profile

A game I'm working on... Need help, please.

on: March 17, 2009, 07:22:20 pm
Hey, I'm working on this 2d platform game, and I'm stuck with my character at the momment. I've done some animations, but stopped incase he doesn't look pleasing. Before I continue further, I'd like to know how I would go about animating him with those short stubby legs, and the perspective that he is in..? I wanna keep the shape and concept, but what could I do to make him look better? Also, I need help with a few other things, which I'll post afterwards. Thanks guys -
(Sorry about the background, I don't know how to make it trans as I'm using MSpaint.. Some of the colours were taken off of a mario piece done by an artist on PJ, I believe it was this one - http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/13250.htm)

Will post more soon. :)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Re: A game I'm working on... Need help, please.

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 09:28:20 pm
I wouldn't worry so much about the perspective you have when doing a run animation. It's not unprecedented for sprite to switch from a full on sideview while running to a perspective more like yours when idling. Castlevania did it and a bunch of others. As for the problem of his short stubby legs. First thing I would do is type 'animation help' into the search box above because there are tons of posts about animation walks that can help you out.

Offline Zack

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:16:17 pm
Thanks, I've been searching it up and found some great stuff on how others improved well with their posts.. I also found some walkcycles, so I'm gonna use it as an example for myself to help me.  :P
Before I begin, is there anything that I could do to make my character look better though? (Colours, shape, hair.. ect)
Please, and thanks.
Edit - Oh well, I'll just go right into the animation then..

I'm not sure about adding recoil or anything from the gun, as I always enjoyed the simplicity of those classic arcade games.. Well, here is the animation for the shooting, the jumping, the ducking and a WIP of the walking.. I kinda need help on all of them, but we could start with walking and work out way up, if you don't mind. I hope I'm not asking for too much help, I just really want to know what you guys think I should do, cause I'm stuck. I also don't mind full-on edits, I enjoy visual instructions more. ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:20:20 pm by Zack »

Offline Zack

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 06:55:55 am
Sorry for the double post, but I need to bump this to find out were I should go to get a small animation software which I could upload each picture frame by frame and see how my animation plays out to look like.. I know there is this one, and it's title starts with a B, but I can't find out what exactly it is..  :( Well, thanks if anyone can help me!  :)
- Oh nevermind, I found one.. Well, I'll edit this post if nobody comments or gives critics to show some more updated work.  :blind:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 06:58:19 am by Zack »