AuthorTopic: [WIP] ► Forum logotype  (Read 12677 times)

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

[WIP] ► Forum logotype

on: March 15, 2009, 06:21:37 pm
Hi, I've been asked to design a kind of logotype for Habforum.net wich is a fansite/forum to the swedish habbohotel. Since I'm aspecially known as a pixelartist at the forum many probably expect it to be über amazing as usual, so I thought I'd really make an effort on this one. I'm very entusiastic and ambitious about this so don't be shy posting challenging critique. This is like a job application for the graphic designer position on the forum, so I'd really appreciate reading your suggestions and creative ideas in this thread!

First WIP save:

Thanks guys! :y:;D

Offline Firgof

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] ► Forum logotype

Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 06:18:00 am
It looks nice, but it's a little hard to read!

The colors seem to blend together just in the right way that the letters take a few moments to register.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:53:15 am
Step 1: Contrast!
Step 2: Anti-alias!

I noticed that two of your gray shades are really close to each other. What a waste! Own your color count!

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 12:13:42 pm
Thanks for replies! It is quite difficult to read what it says, but is it the colours or the design it self I need to change here? Perhaps I should just make the font just a little bit smaller?

I'll also change the BG, since the one I've got atm is similar to the previous.

Thanks again!

Offline Endpiece

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:27:15 pm
Personally I find the colours in the text are too close together. Quick edit to demonstrate contrast in colour for easier readability.

If you're not keen on changing the colours themselves (say because you're keeping to a certain palette), you might want to consider outlining the letters.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 02:40:45 pm
Step 1: Contrast!
Step 2: Anti-alias!
Seconded.

I'd suggest using warm colours for the text, maybe orange. Also possibly a neutral colour for the HABBO stamp in the top right, since at the moment its quite distracting. I'd say green.

You might also want to consider composition more carefully. At the moment the two lines of figures amount to two horizontal lines that either lead the eye off the right of the image, or lead the eye into the slanting text, which then leads the eye off the bottom left. You need to contain the eye more with composition, imo. To this end I think the organisation of the human figures will need more dynamic introduced. Regardless, the figures in the back layer should be smaller in scale than the foreground figures. The text may also need modification to address composition. Possible texture variation across the surface to make a focus point of value nearer the inner part of the image to pull the eye back in might be something you could do, if you are set on keeping the isometric form of the text. But I would probably suggest going for broke and giving that the axe.

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 06:46:41 pm

I did an edit, but the result was quite messed up, so I decided to make a new one with a different style too not loose my motivation.
Are the letters to simple? They want a simple design, nothing too complicated.

Offline Koi Kami Mauro

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 08:32:34 pm
I'dd suggest adding the... bevel? the thing you had originally in the letters. Damned language barrier. The Perspective? Right now it's a bit hard to read.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 09:12:21 pm
New version is too distracting. Also, the compositison feels wrong.

The letters lead out of the picture, and there's nothing to weigh against it on the other side.
Balance is important in composition.

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 12:18:24 pm
So, should I choose another font and make it a bit smaller? And should I go with the previous 3D style or..? If the font is allright I can start making it 3D mabye? If so, 3D like the previous or just 3D?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 12:20:14 pm by SirBilly »