AuthorTopic: Platformer Sprite needs improvement  (Read 14561 times)

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Platformer Sprite needs improvement

on: March 14, 2009, 08:12:36 pm
Hi everybody  :)
I am new to this place and not active at all untill now,because I ended up needing
some help with my sprites :x I am very new to pixel art (I made only a few RPG Sprites)
and ended up needing help with this small platformer sprite: (Really small :O)

So, in my opinion the perspective seems a bit akward and the guy's stance is too rigid,
but I really don't know how to change that :(
Also, you may need to know that this is still a WIP, so shading and changing outlines will follow ;)
PS:
Sorry for any typos or grammatical errors, English isn't my first language.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Platformer Sprite needs improvement

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:30:29 pm
Hey Twirly, good start! This character is quite cute. I think you even analyzed the problems with him pretty good too.

Here is how I would improve this sprite, and your sprites in general:

Don't rely on black lines to give shape to everything. Black lines on the inside of the sprite tend to clutter everything up, especially in small sprites like this. I had the same problem initially, but you just have to realize that you are not drawing with a pencil, you are painting with pixels. So you essentially need to define shapes with the colors you are using, not lines. If you look down at my edit, you see that I placed shapes of pixels of different colors next to each other to differentiate different parts of the body. Like I put a blob of dark blue coming out of the mid tone blue of his jacket to show his back arm a little, and it is distinguishable without any lines.

Try and use some shading. Not all styles use shading, but it can't hurt to know how to do it. Just think of each piece of the sprite as a simple shape (cylinder, sphere, etc...) and shade them accordingly, with the same light source. This will scrape you by on small and simple stuff. Just don't pillow shade (look it up on these forums).

The perspective doesn't seem too off to me, I think it's mainly just his arms are messed up. He does seem rigid, and this is for three reasons: his shoulders are undefined, and look like they are too far foreward over his hips. His head is too far forward, over his shoulders. Finally, his arms are not hanging naturally, they are hanging straight down and even back a little. Plus his left arm should not be so far out from his body, maybe only the bottom of the arm should be hanging forward, while the upper arm is back with the shoulders.

Well here is the edit (it is a bit crappy, I didn't make the arms look totally natural, and I spent only a little time on the face) hope some of this helps:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:40:45 am by NaCl »

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:19:05 pm
Aw man, NaCl beat me to the punch. I did a quick edit here for you also to give you some ideas.

Pulled both his shoulders back to give him a more natural pose (as NaCl mentioned).
Added a few colors plus some shading.
Nixed most of the interior black outlines--This helps a lot in giving you more room for little details, the black lines running everywhere really break it up and take up a lot of sprite real estate without actually contributing much to the details of the sprite.
Rearranged the feet a bit to give him a more solid stance--it would need to be fiddled with a bit to give him a run or walk cycle.
Gave him some yellow rubber boots, just because he looked like he needed some.

For some reason, it makes me think of South Park. Not sure why. Maybe it's just the whole little kid dressed up for winter thing...

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:54:49 pm
First of all, I'd like to thank both of you guys a lot.
So, I did stuff as good as I could, I replaced the black outlines and
used for the blue clothes a darker blue outline and for the scarf a darker
red outline and so on...
Shading really is a nightmare to me, so I didn't do it yet, but don't worry, I'll do it ;)
So here is the edit:

EDIT:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:58:27 pm by Twirly »

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 01:14:03 pm
umm your edit looks pretty much the same as the start, the changes you made are too subtle.

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 01:15:36 pm
Hmmmm???
Does this really look the same?
BEFORE:

AFTER

Alternate Version:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 05:29:59 pm by Twirly »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 05:52:50 pm
I personally like your simple style more than the edits. I might do an edit myself trying to keep the style :)

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 06:34:11 pm
I personally like your simple style more than the edits. I might do an edit myself trying to keep the style :)
Yeah, I like it that way too, because in my game I am aiming for a cartoony stile  ;)
But their edits were incredibly helpful :)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 06:49:43 pm
Have you tried studying Boktai? I think you'll like the style and it's a good reference for the style you're going for. Earthbound is another obvious choice.

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 07:04:07 pm
Have you tried studying Boktai? I think you'll like the style and it's a good reference for the style you're going for. Earthbound is another obvious choice.
Yeah, I know both games :D And I love Boktai's style. I am going to look at the stuff now :)

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:15:12 am
Tried some shading for my sprite :-X

Offline 006

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:06 am
The shading and contrast seems to make him look too round and barrel like. I tried to make an edit and keep the cartoon-y style you wanted.

First Post.

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 11:45:29 am
Thanks for the advice, 006 :D

Better?

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 03:33:41 am
I have to agree with Gil and say I really liked the flat style for some reason. It looked cool.

But if you're going to shade it, you should probably refer to Pawige's and NaCl's edits. Although, it seems like you're going more for Pawige's style.

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 06:48:27 am
I have to agree with Gil and say I really liked the flat style for some reason. It looked cool.

But if you're going to shade it, you should probably refer to Pawige's and NaCl's edits. Although, it seems like you're going more for Pawige's style.
Hmm, I will think about it, I still don't know which type to choose.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 05:09:43 pm
Yes, I still think the original with black outlines looks best. That's why I pointed you in the direction of games that have a similar style. I'm not sure if adding shading is going to work well, since the original looks so pure.

If you are going to shade it, like Dr D says, take it further like Pawige's edit.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 05:51:05 pm
Really you just need more contrast with this, here's an edit I made earlier.   :crazy:

You can share some colours in this if ya wanted, no need for so many with this, I think the addition of black as said would make a great difference.

I put his feet to a flat and pushed the leg on the right over a pixel for balance. Was just trying to make him more grounded, being a small guy and all.

Alter the lineart too a tad, imo his heads a bit too big. Gave him ears and a better sense that he can see, rather than two lines for eyes.

Changed the hair too, looks very meshed onto the head in your version. Bit more on the front

11 colours for this, im sure you could get it down more, not like it makes a difference.. hell you could bring it to 10 to add some highlights.

I aimed to have the skin a warm but light cartoony pink, with the shade more of a darker orange that could be recycled into the scarf highlighs. The brown in this can be used in the skin, hair, shoes and im sure the coat too if pushed. It acts as a connection to black alongside the blue, both being on that side of the hue mixer.

With the blue coat Im keeping in mind that for the white of the eyes a blue can really help soften and give some interest.

Just my thoughts, take what you like from what im advising and keep us notified of updates  :y:

much love  :-*
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 06:02:29 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 06:09:30 pm
Very good edit Terley. That's actually a very clean style to go with. I like the blond hair better though, the orange blends in with the face a bit much. The eyes might be better left simplified too.

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 10:28:09 am
That sprite obviously needs some work :S
Meanwhile, I made a mockup of a game I want to make, which is inspired by nes/gameboy games :)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 10:59:41 am
Very nice, simple, clean. Loving the style. Don't have much to say besides that you could probably push the values for the background tiles down a bit, they seem to be on the same level as the surrounding metal pieces, which are obviously in front of those tiles.

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 04:04:36 pm
Like this?

Yeah, this looks better :]
Also, has anyone got a gameboy palette? (Like that green and black)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 04:33:17 pm
Sure, not quite what I had in mind, there are other ways to separate the background from the foreground elements, but I suppose that works as well.

Did some searching, scroll down to the bit about the Gameboy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_videogame_consoles_palettes

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 04:59:35 pm
I tried to make the mockup look gameboy like:

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 06:02:49 pm
I really like the simple style of the non-gameboy version, you just need to work on your palette, just made a small edit of this too. Just some improvement I think could be made, mostly with the colours but I've also altered the characters a tad and the tiles to a degree.

>>

very minor edit but hopefully it'll help.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:09:11 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 08:44:23 pm
Here is my edit inspired from yours :D

I changed the mainchar spikes and switch like you did, but the robot is still the same (blocky)
Also the colors are brighter now :]
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:46:25 pm by Twirly »

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 11:54:10 am
Here is a sprite I have been recently working on :D

I don't know why, but to me it seems that the perspective is fucked up for some parts :x
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:46:35 am by Twirly »

Offline Voodoofusion

• View Profile
    • Voodoofusion.com

Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 05:41:25 pm

I don't know why, but to me it seems that the perspective is fucked up for some parts :x

With the angle of the head, it is almost a 3/4 overhead perspective. Is that what you are doing with this sprite? Or is it another sprite for the platformer?

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 07:54:21 pm

With the angle of the head, it is almost a 3/4 overhead perspective. Is that what you are doing with this sprite? Or is it another sprite for the platformer?
It is just another platformer graphic. The only graphic I will definitely use for a game is the first sprite...
These last two were just for practice :)

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 05:37:56 pm
Okay I really liked the retro style, so I used the previous retro char and edited him, also I made a small part which shows some graphics, the rock platform still needs some kind of shading though :S

Rock Platform:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 05:53:10 pm by Twirly »

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 10:50:38 pm
A better attempt at a Gameboy version of a mockup I made:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 03:38:30 pm
latest GB mockup greatly improve readability of character and block. You might want to make spikes higher so that they better catch attention of the player, improve contrast on the robot and on the lever (e.g. darker, larger handle, maybe).

A bit of variation on blocks would be nice, and you might want to get rid of those vertically-aligned lines in your bricks background.