AuthorTopic: Odin, the ice elemental  (Read 3114 times)

Offline kimono

• View Profile

Odin, the ice elemental

on: March 08, 2009, 09:47:43 am
Hi architects of the Great Pixel, I need your help on this sprite.
I wish actually make a texture of fur and add scales on my giant's armor without losing any details.
I don't know how to make it for the moment, I refer somehow at this picture:

Here is his walking animation and a sample frame of the character:

Note: Please correct my english if I made any fault in my sentences, I'm here to learn :)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Odin, the ice elemental

Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:05:39 pm
I tend to do armor like that with a special dither kind of deal. Here's something similar. You really need to work on your animations though. It doesn't look like walking, it just looks like he's doing some random foot movements. You lift your foot when walking...

Anyway, reference example for armor:

First guy's pants and second guy's armor are examples of using dither to texture chain mail like stuff.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:10:52 pm
Why is he wearing a skirt like that? It doesn't look like the picture. Same goes for the belt.
The armor needs shading, an maybe make it scaly like in the picture.

Odin had a golden spear named Gungnir, it would be easier to make than a sword and look better imo.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:07:37 am
I think you'd best be off looking back at the design you're running with. I've recently become a big fan of Norse mythology.
A few things I think need to be pointed out. Odin isn't the ice elemental. He's the all-father of the norse gods. He only has one eye left, the other one was traded for a great deal of wisdom. He often times disguises himself as an old man. He is associated with wisdom, war, battle, and death, and also magic, poetry, prophecy, victory, and the hunt. Obviously he's more of an intelligent God than a brutish ice giant.

Now with that out of the way...

I think the beard looks stiff, it feels like a piece of paper connected to his mouth area. In your reference he has a full beard grown out from his jaw. Just like Emtch said, Odin had a spear. He is rarely mentioned with a sword. His nose seems.... ugly. Makes him look like a troll or a generally ugly giant.

I like the antlers, shorten them and thicken them a bit. They'll read more like antlers than tree branches. The blue eyes really need changing.

Good luck, there's a lot of work ahead.

Offline thepezman

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:27:24 am
Agreed, the animation needs work.  The arms aren't bad.  The neck and shoulders are bugging me a little bit, but it's mostly in the feet.  As they said, it looks like he's shuffling along in a weird circular pattern.

I always thought it was tough doing smooth 4 frame animations...and if you have a sprite as big as this...well it's not all too preferable.  For some animation reference, here are some walk cycles I've  done... 4 frame and otherwise. 

Granted there are probably images out there that could assist a lot better than mine  :-X but I hope these help anyways
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:29:23 am by thepezman »