AuthorTopic: [WIP] Moonlit Apocalypse  (Read 18426 times)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Machines on the Moon!

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 04:15:10 am
I am not saying this piece would necessarily benefit form human anatomy study, but that is but one aspect of practicing your forms and getting them down, which I think with a little more practice will make your pieces really shine.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 08:24:40 am
I think the composition with only seeing part of the bots is cool. Like in old horror movies.

The focus works good, the lasers leading attention to the robots and astronauts.

I would make the nebula(?) wider and a little brighter, so it covers the optical center of the picture.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 02:17:49 am
Hey. Long time no see. I've been working on a bunch of other stuff, including pixel art, and I've been really busy with soccer and school. So, here's an updated piece after advice from Badassbill and Cure and others. I changed the composition a bit, and so far I'm liking what I've changed. Advice + crits welcome. (Edits too! ;D)

Thanks for viewing. :D

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 02:22:31 am
seeing as to how the lasers are actual light, I don't see why they would be dimmed as they retreat into the distance.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 09:33:51 am
This is pretty, and it's turning out good. But it has a problem that haunts more of your pieces.
Pixel Technically it's greatly done, and there's heaps of detail. But there are alot of structural, form and perspective issues.
One of the main flaws here are the legs of the alien machines. They seem to be connected in such a way that it would make it impossible for them to walk.
There are no joints in between the pieces. Which makes it look rather akward. The perspective of the legs is also very strange.

Another problem is the lasers. They look more like a red plant, rather then a high energy beam. You need to somehow make it clear that these things are indeed what you want them to be.
In my edit, I used a 20% opacity brush to show a glow. Of course you don't have that luxury in the pixel art itsself, but I urge you to try something similair.
The spirals around the lasers are also too random. You seem to kind of have made a combination between static discharge and a spiral, which turns into some random mess.
I think that a more correct looking spiral can help make this move more. Also, a more impressive, more powerful looking impact can probably help make this look more realistic.

Here's a quick overpaint of a few things:

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 02:37:48 am
Thanks a lot you two, this is why I love pixelation- detailed responses, in-depth things to ponder, etc etc.

Here's a quick update, haven't had much pixel time today.

I'll work on the rest later, but hopefully some of this is what you had in mind. ;D

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 03:02:34 am
Most definitely a step up, but the lasers will keep on looking like solid noodles puncturing the ground until they look like lights. boost the brightness and saturation on both of them, and I'd say to make the reflective light on the machines more intense.
That aside I think this is going to be a really nice piece :]

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 04:03:15 am
aside from what's been mentioned

you know what would be great

if you tried a piece that didn't have a horizontal horizon
add some angle to it next time
or this time

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 05:46:54 pm
Hey, thanks for the feedback, guys! 1up, as I told you on MSN, I'll play with that sooner or later. For now, I'm sticking to how the horizon is on this one, but thanks :D

And thanks, Ryumaru for your insight. If you wouldn't mind, could you go into a bit more detail about the lasers? I raised the brightness and it didn't change much, so I left it. I'm most likely doing some wrong, so that's why I'm asking of your assistance, haha. Thanks!

I've worked on the ground, the lasers, and the machines a bit.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:56:11 pm by Dex »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 06:35:35 pm
I really agree with 1up on this piece. Its one of your most dynamic pieces and the flat horizon downplays that a lot.