AuthorTopic: [WIP] platformer cave tiles  (Read 5334 times)

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

[WIP] platformer cave tiles

on: August 04, 2009, 09:02:12 pm
hi guys!

I'm working on this cave/underground tileset; I thought I'd make the ceiling tiles of a different type of rock, to break up the monotony. But now I'm not so sure anymore. I'm seeing teeth hanging from the ceiling, or is that just me?

What do you think?

Offline Pixelgel

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] platformer cave tiles

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:09:09 pm
Hmmm... newbie speaking here, so feel free to disagree. I do agree that the rock tiles for underneath do look somewhat like teeth, maybe you could try making them wider, or not quite as tall?

Also, the transition between the tiles and the darkness around the level draw my eyes' attention. Maybe if you took that dark brown and put it around the level, it would help.

Other than that, it looks great!  :y: (Very much better than I could do.)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:52:58 pm
Yes, I think the ceiling should be the same type of rock as used elsewhere.

Instead, why not modify the floor? I assume the character will only be walking there, so it would help display where the character can walk, if you contrast whatever you add to the floor with the rock base.

On another note, the tiles are rendered excellently, but are quite boring, I don't think some experimenting with colors and such would hurt. Although maybe it's just the lack of surrounding elements that add to that boring feel, or if you were going for cold, dark, and gloomy, this isn't too bad, but that's not to say it can't still use a little something.

Offline EkbatDeSebat

• daydreamer
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:19:53 pm
hey guys!

yeah, it's all very WIP, so I'll be editing some of the colors in the rocks and the transition to black.
At this point I'm just curious about that ceiling I made.
I'm working on some backdrop elements as well, that should break up the monotony. Too many boulders! :P