AuthorTopic: Need some help improving my RPG's sprites  (Read 10243 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Need some help improving my RPG's sprites

Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 07:41:18 pm

But yes, Firgof. You need to read the rules. Using other peoples work to enhance your own, or even downright editting someones work is a touchy issue and not looked upon kindly here.  :-X

Just to clarify, that's just not what this forum is about! This forum is about helping people with creating original art, not helping people with editing other pieces of art into their own. It's a direction that the creators of the forum have chosen and thus that's what we're gonna enforce!

Actually I'll hand out a strike just for concistency, this is a little too blatant overpainting for it to be okay. It's okay, Firgof, if we see you've learned your lesson we'll remove it sooner or later!
' _ '

Offline Firgof

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 09:00:36 pm
I used a nude battler template to build the concept art for the battler sprite I will eventually be making above available off of RMXP.org as a public resource as I cannot pose well at all; I didn't bother making wholecloth a new piece as it was only ever going to be used as a reference to build the spritesheet and not be ever used ingame.  I posted it mainly so that I could show more in-detail what the spritesheet is supposed to represent. I mentioned how the PSD I had was layered to serve as a resource if someone had a question on how the character's costume is built.  The Kraviklaw is entirely mine.

I neglected to mention this fact in my original post and I apologize.  If a spritesheet built by referencing a conceptual edit that was drawn over a template needs to go elsewhere than this thread should be moved there.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:17:36 pm by Firgof »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 09:13:15 pm
Yeah, well, if it's a public domain template you'll just have to edit your first post and link to it and I'll remove the strike, no more than that.

I'd like to know where the template you used came from. Can you link me to the source, please?
' _ '

Offline Firgof

• View Profile

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 09:42:32 pm
Thread containing the resource
BS Template by Bestone: http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii89/Valcrist_Exl/girltemplate.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, that template looks to be a re-builded sprite from Namco vs Capcom characters. In other words, that very empty template is an edit.

Offline Firgof

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 09:58:53 pm
Yes, it certainly seems to be.  Nobody mentioned that they were using Regina's character sheet; it was outright stated that Bestone made the template in the thread's first post.

As Panda pointed out, it's definitely Regina.  I just overlayed her sheet onto the battler template Bestone made in Photoshop and the resemblance is too dead-on to be anything but an outright edit.

:argh:  Well, I'm certainly caught off guard by this.  The person who submitted the battler template in that thread does a lot of spritework so I had no reason to doubt it was original.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 10:09:00 pm
Wow, that was unfortunate! Sorry for the unnecessary strike then, we'll have that matter sorted out as soon as possible!

It's good that you finally linked to the template, though, please always do so in the future! Well, if you're only using this sprite as a dress-up doll of sorts, by all means continue, since it's kinda clear now where it's from if you read the thread - but I'd recommend that you don't use it as a battle sprite in your game! Well, that's that! I apologize for my mistake!
' _ '