AuthorTopic: [WIP] Oldschool bot  (Read 4601 times)

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

[WIP] Oldschool bot

on: February 28, 2009, 06:10:55 pm
Y'hello, I'm one of them new guys at the forum so I'm sorry if I'm doin anything wrong or breaking any rules.

Anyway, Iv'e been pixeling on this fella for a few hours now and the main issues are the palette and his eyes (Don't quite get them right).
You might see some other issues since I'm new to this non-isometric style, so please tell me what to improve/fix

Would love to hear your creative pixel art heart suggestions on what to do with him since myy creative-o-meter has run out of creativity.

Thanks!   :y:;D

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: [WIP] Oldschool bot

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:45:53 pm
Looks pretty smooth, and welcome to the forum!

I think some places could use some AA'ing, such as the inner edge where the side meets the front of the body and head.

The far foot could use a little more depth, I think. If the 'balls'  :-X gradually get darker, with the darkest ball at the bottom, omit the one in shadow, you could make it feel like the foot is back more, and it would probably help balance the pose a little.

For some reason, I'd really love to see this animated, I can really imagine it in my head.. although I'm not asking you to, and it would be hard, I just think it'd be really neat, for some of the things I'm imagining.

I like 4th palette the best, and coincidentally, that seems to be the one you're currently using/working on?

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:54:27 pm
I tried to AA but it was quite difficult without adding another colour, so now its 9 colours.
I also think that his pose is as you said it would be more balanced when I made his foot and his hand a little darker. I tried to give his left leg a little more depth by making the lower balls a darker shade.
And I still find it hard making robot eyes because I'm not really sure of what they should look like.

Heres the edit anyway!

EDIT:

Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 10:01:02 pm by SirBilly »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:15:23 pm

made a quick edit that may inspire some changes though i've only touched on a few things, bit more contrast with your colours would help plus the addition of black and white can help this. I think dithering on the balls of the arms creates too much un-needed texture, I think if anywhere you could get away with dithering the metal of the robot where the shades leave room for it. I had a mega quick go at making it a tad more metalic but I really think some references would help in getting the lighting more believable. Some other things I've changed would be obviously the palette, maybe a bit too bland with the arms now but was really pushing to share colours elsewhere. The eyes I'd suggest could just be like two glass lenses built into the head. And finally the stance, I know it's an odd angle but something just felt a bit off balance still, just straightened the left leg so it looked sturdier plus flipping his foot and correcting to try make it seem more stable.

Well hope anything helps, goodluck with this man.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:26:56 pm
Thanks a LOT! And I tought I was gonna finish it tomorrow.. just had to do it now! It is'nt an exact copy of yours is it?

I might even add a background or something to it now!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:54:58 pm by SirBilly »

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 05:38:53 pm
Why is his left arm (our right) darker when the light seems to hit him from that direction? And shouldn't his head make a shadow on the other arm?

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 05:58:15 pm
You should reduce the dithering. It's not a good thing to do on plastic, metal or other smooth things.

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 06:45:21 pm
Why is his left arm (our right) darker when the light seems to hit him from that direction? And shouldn't his head make a shadow on the other arm?

Yes, perhaps, thanks for criticism!  :)

You should reduce the dithering. It's not a good thing to do on plastic, metal or other smooth things.

Ok, but it's hard picturing this bot looking any better without it. But I guess it's worth a try, BRB   ;)

Ok, so I made a little edit from both of your advices, and here it is:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:40:59 pm by SirBilly »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 06:47:21 pm
What's that based on infinite? Sure unwanted texture can make it look quite rough but it's all in the artists intentions, I agree maybe dithering the highlights may be a tad OTT but atm he looks more like he's dirty. Unless you mean him to be a shiny metal robot SirBilly. Then as I mentioned before it may be helpful to get some decent metal references.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..