AuthorTopic: C64 War Hammer  (Read 20637 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: C64 War Hammer

Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 05:40:21 am
I think his relsolutin is fine in most places, I think is doing a 1x2 length pixel.
I don't see any single pixels so I don't see what you mean Dusty.
Specifically, all his diagonals are at a resolution twice of the rest of his piece.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 05:42:12 am
he's using doublewides so all his 45 degree angles require two stacked doublewide pixels to achieve the correct angle.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 05:42:27 am
His pixel resolution is 1x2 pixels.
Meaning for each pixel you see there is another next to it combining as a single pixel.
Like... - that
So I think he's fine on having thin 1x2 lines since that's the restriction
You just see 2x2, when really that's 2 pixels of a 1x2 resolution.

edit: darn before I could.
(what he said but explained worse by me)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:53:27 am by Souly »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 09:02:41 am
It does not seem like you guys understand Dusty's point. Look at the celtic pattern for example. It's made almost completely of 2x2 "pixels," even the AA. This need not be so.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 02:01:10 pm
It does not seem like you guys understand Dusty's point. Look at the celtic pattern for example. It's made almost completely of 2x2 "pixels," even the AA. This need not be so.

Hey guys, I understand where you're coming from, but please show me an edit proving your claim. "Fix" the celtic pattern, do 45's, etc. You'll understand it's just an inherent problem with C64's multicolor mode. It's quirky to begin with.

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 06:06:30 pm
First, this is really beautiful.  I'm massively impressed by how... solid it looks.
That said, I think the energy-swooshy things don't quite complement it as they could.  They don't seem to quite read as movement, or an enchantment, or a glow, or even a solar eclipse in the background.  It ends up being a bit distracting with the bright colors and confusing readability.  I dunno if it's just me, but that's how it looks to me.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 06:41:56 pm
It was less of a critique and more of a curiosity thing.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 11:13:30 pm
It was less of a critique and more of a curiosity thing.

No no, that's a great observation, I'm glad you brought it out. This is why I post here, for the insight. But, it's just one of those things you can't get around, I know it looks a little wonky to us that know pixeling.

And being new to pixel art, I find it wise to operate within strict standards at first, like wide-pixel & C64 palette (the hammer uses 13 of 16 colors). Reminds me of learning to drive on a beat up old '85 F150 standard, once I was able to drive that, i could drive anything.

First, this is really beautiful.  I'm massively impressed by how... solid it looks.
That said, I think the energy-swooshy things don't quite complement it as they could.  They don't seem to quite read as movement, or an enchantment, or a glow, or even a solar eclipse in the background.  It ends up being a bit distracting with the bright colors and confusing readability.  I dunno if it's just me, but that's how it looks to me.

Yeah, they hog a little too much attention, I really tried to not use white to help in this area, but it didn't work. This weapon is part of a series of weapons I'm making that have strict themes, this one is blunt and uses electricty. I considered making the electric energy effects more realistic and less abstract/cartoony but ended with what you see instead. I don't see how one wouldn't read them as some sort of radiating power or energy, but I agree that it could be better.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:54:18 pm by Mathias »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 04:11:47 am
Dev Weapons, first set complete.

Department : Art
Type: Blunt/Crushing
Element Power: Lightning

Level 1 is supposed to be a judge's gavel adapted to a medieval blunt weapon. It's rather basic looking because this project is an experiment in using wide-pixel C64 colors and it was done first.

Second one is new, it's the latest creation, which is why it's C64 color usage is a little more dynamic I guess. Or ridiculous, depending on your taste.

This project accomplished it's purpose pretty well - acclimating me to the C64 palette and wide pixels. Although, since they're just inanimate objects . . . I probably need to expand my horizons before I can say I'm truly learned, but at least I'm getting there.

Please crit, that's why I've posted the set. Like 'em, hate 'em?

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 05:00:52 am
I think the level 1 hammer could use some lighting loving.  The other two have multiple colored lights and the level one looks to just have one source.  Compared to the others it just doesn't look to have the same sort of polish. On it's own it's fine, but if you're gonna use them in the same project I'd at least throw a little of the blue in there somewhere to make it feel like it belongs.  Level three also doesn't feel as "lightningy" as the first two.

Nice designs and everything, tho.

Just a question:  When you pixel these double-wide things, is there an app that treats them as single pixels, or do you pixel them on the 64 itself, or do you fake it?  I imagine it would be hard to emulate a double-wide style with a single-pixel painting app without accidentally having some single pixels in there.  Especially when it's this large an image.