AuthorTopic: Alley Gator  (Read 3747 times)

Offline Sheexy

• View Profile

Alley Gator

on: February 21, 2009, 11:53:26 pm
I started working on this sprite today, and I need some critique before I start animating it.

Alley Gator:

Right now the most all of the colors I'm using are from Arne's 64 color palette in general discussion.  (link)  I used the default MS Paint green instead of the brightest green on his palette.  I think it fits pretty nice.
It's got 14 colors on the sprite, if I add anymore colors it's just going to be one more.  I think the knife might need another color...

Does his face look flat without shading on the upper jaw?  Every time I add color to that section it looks weird to me, not sure what to do with it.

I'm also not really sure how to go about pixelling the knife, it looks sketchy..

As far as the character design goes, do you guys think he is better with or without the knife?  Inspiration came from Prinnies and the Dragon baddies in Seiken Densetsu 3.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: Alley Gator

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:49:30 am
Image does not work.

Please fix.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:51:37 am
Everything works/shows perfectly fine for me..

Offline Sheexy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:02:04 am
That's weird Shrike, it works for everyone else I ask. 

Can you get to it if you just click the link?  http://www.seikens.com/sheexy/sprites/alleygator.png

EDIT:  I'm not ditching this, I only have time to work on it on Fridays and Saturdays, I'll post something next week.  I wasted all of last night throwing together some animations that ended up being terrible... I haven't sprited in way too long.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:17:08 am by Sheexy »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:48 am
Nice :)
I would AA the teeth slightly, and fix the shape of that tail (it's a bit jagged). The tail coiled around the knife looks strange, maybe add more to the top right and AA a weeny bit.
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:22:49 pm
Strange.

I think it's the website, your server must not like mine.  The link doesn't work either.

Shewt.  Well, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Maybe it's FF3?

Not sure.
Later
Shrike

Offline Sheexy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 06:07:10 pm
I got a break between my classes today.   ;D

Took a chance to update the sprite a bit.

I knocked out the bright purple color since I realized I was using it on one pixel, I also got rid of black and just used the darkest gray there since you can't really tell the difference between the two (at least not on my monitor D: )

Changed the tail shape, attempted to AA the teeth a bit, shaded the face some and changed up the bandana.  Added little feet to him and did a few other little pixel changes on the hoodie .  I think the far arm might be too long now though...

As for the knife, I think I'll just have him whip one out of his hoodie or something, because now his tail isn't a terrible long mess.  ;D

Chris2balls - Thanks for the pointers, I dunno what I was thinking with that tail, it looked terrible.  :P  Hopefully the new one is better.

Shrike - I've got this new one on photobucket, hopefully you can see it now.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 03:08:07 pm
Looks better :)
I don't understand the lighting on the tail or on the bandana end bits, if there's a frontal lightsource. I think you should give a bit of volume to the snout, it looks flat.
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!