AuthorTopic: [WIP] Super Teeth-Ah  (Read 3917 times)

Offline CCPC Speaker

• Boooooooh !
    • View Profile

[WIP] Super Teeth-Ah

on: February 28, 2009, 04:04:12 pm
Hi guys ! Remember me ? :crazy:

During all this time I had a new idea of character, called Super Teeth-Ah. Just a stupid idea for a video game, a mario like with two attacks, farting and burping (and abillity to fly with a super fart). So I draw this little character.

And so I tried to do it in pixel art, but there is some problems.

First, as you can see, the running Teeth-Ah has his left arm at the level of his teeth, so it's pretty ugly. I don't know if I left it like it or something
Then, I really wanted to add a navel to the character, but it look like a penis :crazy: on the pixel version...
And finally, I found my pixel little boy too fat... do you think so ?

It would be fantastic to make a GameBoy Color, or a Nes game with that. I need to learn how to program GameBoys :D

Thank you all in advance !

Offline Fidsah

• Coder
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Super Teeth-Ah

Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 06:47:28 pm
The only thing I can really say at this point is that in the original art, Teeth-Ah looks a bit more active while running than he does in the sprite. You should try to keep the essence of the reference.

Also, you may consider increasing the size to something that rhymes with 8, since you're trying to go for a game.

I've made you a quick edit that shows both of these.

I went with 32x32 for the sprite size, which gives you a bit more room to capture the spirit of Teeth-Ah, and gave him his navel back for you.

Other than that, keep up the good work.

while (!QUIT) {
       return 0;
} //What bug?

Offline CCPC Speaker

• Boooooooh !
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:09:43 pm
Yep, you're right on that point, it's definitively better looking. And the colors you used are slighty different but better. However I would definitively have some yellow teeth, I'll try to add some when I have more time.
Thanks a lot !

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:19:38 pm
working on Fidsah's lovely edit I just thought I could give a bit of random critique.

With yellow teeth>>

Had a quick go at doing this with 4 colours (if ya don't count white), I just think a bit of shape would do a lot for these sprites whether you want a restricted palette or not. I don't think you can give him noticably yellow teeth without making this character on a larger scale, you've gotta understand there isn't enough pixels to do it sucessfully, it just wouldn't read well, well I don't know what you think but I personlly think it's just a bit of a kerfuffle around the mouth.. If you where to design a game with this character you'd most likely do a larger portrait of the character.

I really like the design of this character though, there's a lot of room for expression, exaggerated movements and biting n such  :D

goodluck with this, hope it helped.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:35:13 am

Teeth-Ah is cool! I did it cuz I was bored. I think that both Fidsah and Terley did wonderful jobs of introducing new aspects to your character.

Offline CCPC Speaker

• Boooooooh !
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:15:17 am
OMG ! It's so nice of you to made thoses. The two more Teeth-Ah are really diiferent but so cool ! It's such a pity that high school take me too much time to make more sprites.

you've gotta understand there isn't enough pixels to do it sucessfully, it just wouldn't read well, well I don't know what you think but I personlly think it's just a bit of a kerfuffle around the mouth
However, yep, I tried to add yellow teeth and it was damn ugly. Maybe I should swith to a 64x64 sprite. I'll experiment that maybe in some days.

Thank you so much guys