AuthorTopic: Megalith mario!  (Read 11610 times)

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Megalith mario!

on: February 21, 2009, 12:12:32 am
well, my idea for this piece was to have a huge 8bit mario but 3d looking, with some crazy ass perspective (because hes s0o huge of course!) and tiny looking goombas trying to pull him down with ropes.

setting up the perspective was hell, i used 3 points made a big box and slowly filled in a 12x16 grid in that box, then coloured in mario, removed unused grid squares and added the needed faces. then i raytraced the shadow in by hand (using a perspective drawing technique i figured out) which took forever  for a not so good result. i shoulda picked a more interesting angle.

im not too far along, but i have put a good 2 hours into it. i need you guys' help for the colours, since i know that what im using is wayy too washed out, and im unsure if i should go with a sunset type look or the current super mario world look. i want the viewer to feel the atmosphere of the piece, but im unsure of how i should accomplish this, thats why the colours seem a bit too light.

i need some of you pros to give me some crazy colour edits becuase i want to find a good look before diving into the detailing level.

heres the piece so far.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:18:30 am by QuaziGNRLnose »
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: Megalith mario!

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:09:14 am
Pretty impressive if you did that by hand.

The shadow doesn't look correct though. Especially on the foot to the right.

Not sure what more you could do with the coloring except darken it a bit.

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:12:10 am
is your inspiration for any chance : http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/29925.htm ?

i think for this, is that the palette is very bland low saturated make it vibrant like hes some god or soemthing, because lets face it, mario for prime minister of australia 2013. well back on track, if your getting stuck on perspective get a mate over, and make him stand and you lay on the ground looking up at him, take acouple of snaps and see what works best applying t to your mario.

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:19:31 am
yea the shadow is gonna be redone i hate it, but it is correct in relativity to the weirdly positioned light source

heres proof i did it by hand!

srry for jpg

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:21:30 am
is your inspiration for any chance : http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/29925.htm ?

i think for this, is that the palette is very bland low saturated make it vibrant like hes some god or soemthing, because lets face it, mario for prime minister of australia 2013. well back on track, if your getting stuck on perspective get a mate over, and make him stand and you lay on the ground looking up at him, take acouple of snaps and see what works best applying t to your mario.

holy hell, never seen that piece! but it looks the same   :yell: damnit!!!!! i though i had an original idea going here. wtv ill still try to finish it!

most ironic part is that i was gonna call it "nostalgia still stands!" grrrr!

i guess the colour is good, i find it a tad too grey though id like some more input

also should i make him look shiny and new, or old and cracked. im leaning towards the latter
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 01:27:39 am by QuaziGNRLnose »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:11:03 am
I feel a 1 point perspective would be more suitable for this piece as you don't see much of it's depth, and generally gives me the feel that he's slightly twisting to/from the viewer.

Maybe if he was more of a statue, I'd say go for the 'old and cracked' look. I don't really know what else he would be anyway.

The concept there could be, 'The evil is rising again, by taking down a symbol of greatness' (a.k.a Mario.).

Just some ideas, Add some saturation to your colors if you want them to feel less washed out, and look at original Mario screens for inspiration and ideas for the landscape, and surrounding objects.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 02:19:57 pm
I feel a 1 point perspective would be more suitable for this piece as you don't see much of it's depth, and generally gives me the feel that he's slightly twisting to/from the viewer.

Maybe if he was more of a statue, I'd say go for the 'old and cracked' look. I don't really know what else he would be anyway.

The concept there could be, 'The evil is rising again, by taking down a symbol of greatness' (a.k.a Mario.).

Just some ideas, Add some saturation to your colors if you want them to feel less washed out, and look at original Mario screens for inspiration and ideas for the landscape, and surrounding objects.

well i know hes twisting, but 1 point perspective would be wayy too boring, it would look like a flat mario sprite

but i used 3 point to get more of a massive look

the twisting is a mistake, and i might remake mario so that hes closer to the horizon and the twisting is fixed (its because hes thin so the 3rd point is pulling his far side into the center)
i cant go about redoing him many times because it is EXTREMELY time consuming.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 03:52:04 pm
ive made a whole new grid, and im much happier with this one than the previous, although it took a long time to do

here it is it get a much more epic feel, and its better for what im going for

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 06:24:52 pm
I still get a feeling of twisting near the top but I think this will look a lot better. Because of the straight line up in the previous one it looked like he was falling backwards a lot which this one he will look a lot more solid on his feet. I think the twisting is just an optical illusion created due to the fact that your left horizon points is a bit too close to the object.

Keep it up I really like this piece. The colours are great.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 07:18:36 pm
I still get a feeling of twisting near the top but I think this will look a lot better.

Yes the twisting is an optical illusion. You get the same effect when looking up at a skyscraper.

The new perspective looks pretty cool.