AuthorTopic: Skull Pit Revisted.  (Read 5146 times)

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Skull Pit Revisted.

on: February 16, 2009, 07:05:36 am
Hey all,

I haven't posted on here in a couple of years, so I doubt anyone remembers me.  Anyhow, I've been working in the industry for the past couple of years and haven't had much time for my own stuff.  I recently came across a little free time and decided to redo one of my older pieces I did prior to industry experience.  I've learned a lot of tips from my co-worker Tsugumo so I hope it shows. 

This is the version I did in 2007

This is the revised version from this weekend.

On a seperate note, when applying to a studio do you think it would be a good idea to show your progression over the span of several years in your portfolio, or just the most recent strongest work?

-Fry

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: Skull Pit Revisted.

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 08:52:04 am
I don't have much to say about the picture, it looks really nice.. But, to answer your question, I'd have to say, your strongest work, as I doubt they care of the progress you made and just want to see how good you are.

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:10:00 am
This is some nice work. The newest version addresses the issue of the foreground and background not looking seperate enough. The only glaring issue I see is with the grass. It's palette and contrast look slightly out of place, probably because the grass is highlighted with cool colors, whereas everything else uses warms.

On a seperate note, when applying to a studio do you think it would be a good idea to show your progression over the span of several years in your portfolio, or just the most recent strongest work?

Never, ever, EVER show old work. It's largely pointless, and possibly harmful. Only show the latest and greatest. Also, you don't need to bombard potential employers with a crap load of artwork. ~12 strong pieces should suffice.

P.S. How is Tsugumo? Tell him we love him and we miss him.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:10:37 pm
Thanks for the feedback,  I'll play around with the cool colours in the grass highlights.

Other than a broken ankle, Tsugumo is doing well and rockin the gaming world.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:27:26 pm
The improvement is astounding. And it's good to hear that tsugumo is doing well, I know im one of many that grew my pixel muscles through his tutorials.

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:38:28 pm
Nice stuff. Great to know that Tsugumo's still around and working the craft. It would be nice to see some of his latest work. Can you supply a list of titles he's worked on recently in the industry?

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:45:15 pm
Sadly BBB doesn't do very much in the way of pixel art anymore.  We've moved onto casual games.  Hence why I'm back here indulging in the world of pixel goodness. 

Tsugumo's most recent pixel art stuff is the mobile version of Samba De Amigo.  He did effects animation for a recent hidden object hit called Master's of Mystery: Crime of Fashion too. 

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:46:59 pm
Wait... Big Blue bubble?

Is that still in London? The office for it or whatever sorta vanished from downtown.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:38:21 pm
BBB is still in London, and the downtown office is alive and kicking.

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 02:24:27 pm
Cool, Native Londoner here myself.

I just heard from a friend that he office moved... or something.

Well Good to hear you guys are still in London.