AuthorTopic: Catch As Cat Can Mockup.16  (Read 46509 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Catch As Cat Can Mockup.9

Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 09:05:04 am
Something about the cat seems off-balance... like it's leaning forward. Probably because the lines of the body tend to move lower in the front of the body(as well as the front legs are shorter than the rear).

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 02:52:31 pm
Something about the cat seems off-balance...

I agree, most likely because he's partially camoflauged right now but id see about adjusting the front legs a tad to acomidate for his extremly large head.

And yes you do have some clashing colour issues here, it's ideal to push the backdrop away from the contrast of the characters and props so the user can distinguish what's going on easily. Oh and this might be helpful, a contrast edit for Sabata.

do you not think your character looks kinda lost over this floor,  your floor is too contrasting.

Just look at what happens when you just alter the contrast values less and more. when the characters colour range exeeds the floors darker and lighter tones it stands out much nicer. Looking at the what happens when the floors contrast is way too high gives you an idea that the game would really give you a headache trying to play because it'd be so hard trying to spot the character.

<---- ---->

With control of saturation too it's not hard to push background back extremly effectively.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 10:00:14 pm
I only just noticed the colors until after I posted it here. I thought at first, ah it won't be so bad. Then I come back and its ick.

I'll see what I can't do about that saturation. I don't know why I keep it like that.

The last cat sprite pic and the hue one are the latest. So it may be just the background thing. If not, then I'll see if I can't come up with anything for that.

Thank you for the tips.

*Goes to move saturation bar to full...ah, don't hurt me!*

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 06:44:44 am
Re-read again dummy.

Or is this acceptable?

I probably have as much wrong with the mouse as I did the cat. I'll have to play with it more to see if I can't get it desaturated.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #44 on: March 15, 2009, 07:17:35 am
That's pretty painful to be honest. It's really cutting into the readability of the cat. The mouse is almost invisible too. Tone down that lighest color in the background, and knock the saturation down. Right now it's maxed out. You might want to do something about the floor as well, it's about the same brightness as the cat's paws and so they really get lost down there.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: March 15, 2009, 09:54:03 am
Example edit desaturating some of the background tile colors (and changing the hue and brightness) so the cat stands out much better.
Pretty much like your purple version, except desaturated:

The mouse -- it needs more definition. for example, a black pixel or two separating the leg from the head. Also consider whether its stomach should nearly touch the ground near it's back legs.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #46 on: March 15, 2009, 01:14:31 pm
Using a purplish-bluish hue is particularly effective because it's opposite on the color wheel from the cat and the foreground. Differences in hue can be used to separate positive and negative space, and value and contrast are also important because they allow precise control over how excited the eye gets when it looks at the image. The more contrasts between light and dark in the image, the more visually stimulating the image will look, and this is a double edged sword. In this scene you probably want the cat to be the most exciting thing on the screen so you should be careful not to have too much contrast in the other stuff (the texture on the rocks, for example, is a little too high-contrast for my taste; you can see the negative effects where the cat's feet are touching the ground; the detail around the cat's feet is more exciting to the eye so the feet themselves are lost.)
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Catch As Cat Can Mockup.10

Reply #47 on: March 17, 2009, 12:52:40 am
Is this more like what you mean?

I tried hard on the saturation issue and I think I got it. The cat should stand out now more and be easier to read. Another thing I changed was the cliff side edges. I didn't like the generic straight edge look so I tried to make it seem more natural. I changed the entrance there a bit as well. It seemed to straight to me. Do the add-ons make that much of a difference? And did I get that saturation down as well? I hope so. It seems to stand out to me. I also redid the grass rocks a little to see if it made any difference.

Oh! That blob, thing. Um, I couldn't help it and drew my own jelly critter. I tried to get the bones in there but couldn't quite get that transparent look. I'm gonna try and make it simpler a little bit. And the bones are supposed to be from a recent meal. Hence the drooling.

So, anyways. What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:56:00 am by xhunterko »

Offline Blue22.

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: March 17, 2009, 04:52:10 pm
Maybe you not think is my edit good but you're picture have that oldschool style  :P

i think you should put highlights on characters becouse their starting to hmmm.... be more visible.
and use highlits on background but don't make background with more light than characters.

sorry about my bad english i realy like to help you.
ps. i change eyes in cat and that ''duck''
Sorry about my english... im not from england so...

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 06:26:23 am
Hello all, I'm back again.

For this particular piece I was trying to do level layout when it turned out that I didn't have enough pieces. So I made some here and there and then I looked at some more polished 32 bit games. Don't know if that was a mistake or not but now I want to change the level of detail here and there. I toned down the outer layer a bit which had an overall effect. The character, I think stands out much more on the background then it did. Which allows me to add some more detail like the stalag-things and rework the cave background texture. You'll notice that I've got stuff marked around red circles that I'd like help on.

I have an idea for the cave entrance which would remove the stalagmites and just leave the texture to blend in the sky line, like I did earlier. Also, I did a different, um rounding shading on the left stalagmite to see if it looks better. I'm not sure if I should go with a random look to the stalagmites or not, or where to put them and how many. I just went with a random placement that I thought looked natural. I also added some more texture to the floor section so it stands out more on its own yet doesn't compromise the character.

As for the shore line goes, I think its more of a design problem. I've seen some games gradually slope downwards to the bottom and then others just stick a straight edge in the water. I'm not to sure what I should do there in either case.

CnC appreciated

Oh, and Blue22. Thanks for the edit. I'll have to look at that "duck" (it's actually supposed to be a slime, hence the bones, oh well.). Thanks again.