AuthorTopic: Mark II  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Knighty

• View Profile

Mark II

on: February 12, 2009, 02:42:34 am
Hi!
Here's a robot! I tried to making it with the least amount of straight lines possible to make it more interesting. (which is weird, because he's a cubic robot)
I have a little trouble making his legs look right, and I can't decide what to do with his hands.
I also want him to look more shiny but can't figure out how to do it without it looking horrible.
Also, C&C wanted.

Offline Hydronium

• View Profile

Re: Mark II

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:06:11 am
Lookin' good so far.

I think the reason you might be having trouble making him look shiny is that he's already pretty light colored. I noticed you already have pure white in there (something you might wanna stay away from in the future), so any further white highlights blend right in.

To counter that, I suggest making him darker so any highlights will pop out and make him shiny. I also think he could benefit from some more contrast and color variation. I love the purple around his eyes... why not move that into the shadows to make his light bits pop out more as well as to add more interest? After all, straight color ramps aren't all that engaging.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Re: Mark II

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:12:33 am
What Hydronium said about the shininess was pretty much what I had on my mind, so I second his critique.

The only problem I see with his feet is that his right (our left) foot is out of perspective; in this situation I think it would look better if his foot pointed towards us, and the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw his arm was EVE (the robot on the left), so you could try something like that.

Here's an edit I made, trying to address everything that's been mentioned so far, as well as give him a more interesting palette.
Just as a tip, never work on a white background because it can mess with how you perceive the colors (same with black).

All in all, though, it's really cute and the curves make him much more interesting without making him look wonky, so good job with that.
Welcome to Pixelation by the way!