AuthorTopic: Freaky blob  (Read 4165 times)

Offline rehugun

• Hello
    • View Profile

Freaky blob

on: January 29, 2009, 06:51:24 am
Hello all, I'm rehugun and have some basics of pixel arting down but I love C+CC and getting help, as I'm still a noob at pixel art unfortunately
Here is my peice, it was a random idea that just came together now i seem to be very fond of the idea  ;D.

Fixed broken image -Indigo
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:45:03 pm by Indigo »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Freaky blob

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:47:41 pm
Interesting. That's a building I'd rather not enter. And I'd hate to see the exit!

Welcome to the wild wild world of pixel art. Not a bad first try. Here's your requested crit: It's basically mirrored, which is usually a form of cop-out, not saying it is here, because buildings are typically symmetrical. He's pillow-shaded, which means you took the least intuitive approach possible to shade your character. Good shading is vital, it allows your viewer to get a sense of the form of something/how they occupy space. Your shading indicates your light source is the same as the viewer's point of view, which tells me you didn't even consider light at all when doing this. Light is yours to command, bend it to your will.

That's just a few things for ya, no sense in overloading you with information you can easily find in pixel tutorials online anyway. GO HERE.

There's only so much one can validly critique without knowing the intent/purpose of a peice.

Offline rehugun

• Hello
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 03:24:14 am

Thank you Dex and BAB for helping me out, in showing me depth and proper light sourcing.  :crazy:

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:35:44 am
That is a huge improvement you've made already, but you could take it even further:

What I changed:
I fiddled around with the eyes, saved a couple colors there by reusing some of the blues.
Changed the brightest white to a brighter yellow.
Added some highlights and more contrast on the body, to make it look a little more jelly-like. I don't know if that was what you were aiming for but it was what I saw.
Shaded the lips a little to add more bepth and reused a couple of colors there.
Added a little bit more detail to the door.
Changed the teeth to look less like stripes, and more like teeth.

Anyway, good work, keep at it!

Offline rehugun

• Hello
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:24:25 am

All done....................... I think.  ;D

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 01:56:51 pm
excellent improvement in your ability to define shapes by shading..
On the latest version, something weird happened -- I'm sure you didn't mean those black pixels to be randomly on the door.
I also don't get why the door and doorway appear pixelated/chunky.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline rehugun

• Hello
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 03:47:52 am
I really do think it's done now, any last C+CC?

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:03:32 am
the head of you blue dude? he has the lightest shade then dramatically drops in the eyebrows/eye wrinkle? dont be scared to mix colors, use the brightest shade and go over the lines that shows the eye whaty-magiggy. maybe define it by the second highest before it or something, or make it one pixel longer going into the second shade.

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt