AuthorTopic: Poison Prison  (Read 6183 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Poison Prison

on: January 21, 2009, 05:48:13 am

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Poison Prison

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 05:53:48 am
No description? - What's the intent? What's the purpose? What are you going for? Who is this dude? Looks like Cell from DBZ, on crack-cocaine.

Unless you're after "wow, koooool" responses, some explanatoriness, w/o that I don't know if you hit the bullseye on this or totally overshot and broke a window instead.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:17:30 am
No description? - What's the intent? What's the purpose? What are you going for? Who is this dude? Looks like Cell from DBZ, on crack-cocaine.

Unless you're after "wow, koooool" responses, some explanatoriness, w/o that I don't know if you hit the bullseye on this or totally overshot and broke a window instead.
I really hate it when art needs an intent or purpose.
I mean a doodle is a doodle and a avatar is just an avatar, doesn't need a story behind it.

I think the helmet lacks volume, could be the orange going all the way across that makes it seem flat.
The face shows the volume that the helmet lacks.
Also the face is a bit messy a lot could be done to clean it up and use the colors better more on the highlighted side.

I don't know if the "poison bolt thing" is like shooting into his head or behind him.
Perhaps make more of a splash then like random spikes. or even just some spikes at the bottom, smaller ones.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:19:56 am by Souly »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:09:46 pm
It's Lagann with the arms and legs concealed. I don't get the title so some description would indeed be nice. So it's trying to be something specific since it's fanart, but i don't get the backround either.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:32:39 pm
Poison Prison is one of the tracks from the Gurren Lagann OST.
And the picture is a rendition of the CD Cover.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 01:40:09 pm
Whoa, I uh... didn't know a description was that vital. Um, so yeah. Its what panda said, here's a picture of the CD cover.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 02:14:09 pm
Your head is too small and too low on the canvas.
Also not sure I like the purple face.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 02:17:41 pm
Too small for what? Its the only thing there.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 02:24:50 pm
Exactly, and almost a third of the canvas above it is empty blackness, without the head filling it.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 02:28:48 pm
I really hate it when art needs an intent or purpose.
I mean a doodle is a doodle and a avatar is just an avatar, doesn't need a story behind it.

Souly, don't be silly. Art always has a purpose. A lot of art may not aspire to anything grand; just being repititous practice, though. I never said everything needs a full backstory. But here, Tuna was attempting to mimic this CD cover in a totally different style - pixel art. Once he's explained that, we're now empowered to critique it more effectively are we not?

I like it, Tuna. Good translation to pixels. I'd like to see it a little bigger. Just because it's a neat-looking character; I'd like to see more detail. But there's definitely merit in pixeling this small and it retaining recognition. And I agree on the composition issue, it does seem like it's sunken down on the canvas, compare your use of space to the original cover. Easy fix. Nice!