AuthorTopic: Help with "top-down" building  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Karies

• View Profile

Help with "top-down" building

on: February 14, 2009, 10:50:08 pm
Hi there!
I'm a newbie on this but I want to make an effort and try to draw some buildings for a game.  I would like to know what kind of things add to this for make it look more realistic.  Thx!

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Re: Help with "top-down" building

Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 01:29:27 am
Very hard to tell what I'm looking at here. Orange and grey squares. I mean I guess you are trying to make top down buildings. Well it depends on what you mean by this. You can do like a 3/4 top view like most rpgs, or true top down would be like gta 1. I would say if that's the style you are trying to do then to reference it pretty heavily.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 02:23:34 am
I would try adding a shadow onto the road and on the roof where the raised roof parts would cause a shadow to appear. There's no sidewalk around the building either.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 04:52:47 am
Yeah shadow is your best best for adding depth with something like this. Also reflected light from lit walls onto the floor, like what happens with radiosity.

Keep in mind the building should follow some logical structure, also. Parts should only be present if it makes sense for them to be there. This also will help people to recognise the piece as a building.

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 11:36:03 pm
you could try to mimic sim city style:

I chose a screenshot from the snes version because of the countless simcity's out there, this once seems to have a fairly polished feel and stays close to the top down style your after.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:12:35 am by Red_Mist »
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it