AuthorTopic: Flying guy sprite for a shoot'em up.  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Flecko

• View Profile

Flying guy sprite for a shoot'em up.

on: January 17, 2006, 12:42:11 am
Hello everyone.

I'm a long time reader, first time poster. I'm currently working on a 2d shoot'em up game that features a young kid as the primary avatar. He can fly in this game, and fitting all that detail in a 16x16 sprite is proving to be VERY difficult. I'm aiming to make my game a classic pixelled shooter in the vein of SNES games, so it runs at 320x240, hence the small sprite size.

Here is the WIP:

I'm really not happy with the sprite at all. This resolution leaves me basically  no options for outlines, which means there's a good chance it'll be hard to see against any background I might make. Are there any tips or anything you guys can offer to make my sprite more stylish and more visible?

I think I may have to relent and just recode a bit of my game to handle larger sprites, like maybe 24x24 for the player and enemies.

Thanks everyone,
-Flecko

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Flying guy sprite for a shoot'em up.

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 12:51:05 am
you can try to implement some form of "selective outlineing", which you can find a tutorial of it in the tutorial thread..
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=222.0

Offline Flecko

• View Profile

Re: Flying guy sprite for a shoot'em up.

Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:58:00 am
I've actually read that tutorial a few times, and I really like the idea of selout, but I fear that for my sprites size that won't really help other than make my sprite look pillow shaded. But perhaps selout will work. I'll give it a try, but I'm open to any other suggestions or edits anyone wants to make.

I'm really beginning to think that maybe 24x24 is the way to go, but it'll just mean changing all my collision detection code and my map handling. It'll be a bit of work.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion, we'll see how it goes,
-Flecko