AuthorTopic: Scrolling Backdrop perspective?  (Read 53333 times)

Offline Metaru

• Latino
    • View Profile

Re: Scrolling Backdrop perspective?

Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 06:46:16 am
Please point out your intetions~
be helpful to the discussion, somehow.

kirby wasnt the best example, but there are surely better ones around. not to mention i too want to learn from what has been said aroud, so posting an example is a somehow way to see if i get the concept.
btw, would this count as perspective?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 06:49:28 am
haha that's actually a pretty great method of dealing with it. As long as no more than a single repetition is on screen and it scrolls slowly, nobody would notice that it warps and loops.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #72 on: January 22, 2009, 11:13:20 am
This perspective is crazy!  How did they plan this out?

I took the liberty of red lining the orthogonal lines.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #73 on: January 22, 2009, 11:35:46 am
Haha, they sorta just make it a mess I guess, but it works so good. Brilliance!

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #74 on: January 22, 2009, 11:52:18 am
I guess that would not be too hard mike. Draw 4 different buildings, make sure their perspective points all end on the same horizon and then paste them over and under each other. DONE!
Per object, they use an individual 2 point perspective, where only the (in real) horizontal lines are parallel to each other. Thats why you would only need to place them right on the horizon, and you can drag everything horizontally (not vertically) around as much as you can. Draw some more buildings, fill up the gaps, think about general tiling stuff and tadaah, you are done.

I really think it would not be that hard.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #75 on: January 22, 2009, 12:01:54 pm
Nothing in this thread is really "hard to do", it's coming up with it that makes it hard :)

A lot of study is required in game design. It's part science imo

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #76 on: January 22, 2009, 12:06:23 pm
it's coming up with it that makes it hard :)
Originality.. It is always the easiest part and still the hardest to get the most out of it.
Weird ::)

Offline Metaru

• Latino
    • View Profile

Reply #77 on: January 23, 2009, 06:01:21 am
Haha, they sorta just make it a mess I guess, but it works so good. Brilliance!
Metal Slug is full of those wild backgrounds in terms of perspective. that background in context http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsRdwXjRzL4 (2:32)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: January 23, 2009, 08:33:32 pm
Hm... what if you made a film-strip sort of background image. A backdrop that consisted of frames, and where it 'scrolled' to the next frame instead of just looping. Also, make the 'frames' longer than the screen as well, so you could add an offset and loop it as well. It would basically be animation that would be calculated by the movement of the player rather than timing.

If that makes any sense.

edit: In a more 'mathematical' explanation: You have 5 'frames' each frame is 100 pixels in width, you lay these frames in one long horizontal strip that ends up being 500 pixels long The viewing area is 50 pixels. You set the scroll speed to 105 pixels. Each time it moves it will move to the next frame AND five extra pixels, to give the effect of scrolling as well as an animation.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:00:13 pm by Dusty »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #79 on: January 23, 2009, 10:29:58 pm
that background with the houses seems really interesting to me.

I find that whenever you look at actual photographs of things, the best way to hide perspective and try to make it seem like some form of paralel line-based construction like the isometric pictures we're used to, the best way to do it is from far away, and above.

I think the contruction of the perspective in that picture was divided in two, the far-back area which uses paralel lines much like ISO, and the closer area...where in reality one would actually notice the perspective...has that made up perspective

PS: for the ones looking at that megaman vid...PLEASE try to not look at MegamanX5, X6 they are really quite horrible copies of X4, cash ins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RwVZq5kCUY if you watched the other vid you'll see they do something very interesting with a spiral staircase, only that the angle is completely wrong for the sprites....this one is the original with an angle more on accord with sidescrolling sprites