AuthorTopic: Panda [WIP]  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Apricot

• View Profile

Panda [WIP]

on: December 23, 2008, 04:36:06 am

Hey, I'm new here and this is my first pixel art, I'm kinda stuck and need lots of help. ???

I looked through all of the tutorials on the site... but I just don't understand a lot of things, mainly how AA works (I get what it is for but I don't understand how it is used).

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Panda [WIP]

Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 05:50:27 am
Hey Apricot, I think this is a good starter in pixel art. What exactly are you stuck on? I think this very stylistic piece has been brought nearly as far as it can be.

For more information on AA, read this tutorial. I typed up a few explanations of how it works, but they all fall short of this tutorial. So, read that instead.

http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/handmade_antialiasing.php

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:44:30 am
What's the purpose of the three differant shades of neon purple that never appear togeather and add jerky cracks to the outline?

EDIT: It's good for a first try and i came back and decided to do a quick edit that reduces the colours (from 13 to 10), fixed the outlines/sillouete(sp?) and smoothed the aa alot. The white to black transition could probably do with another colour as you have on the original but that's a personal choice.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:58:01 am by heyy13 »

Offline Apricot

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:54:11 am

I've been having some internet troubles, but I worked on my panda some more.

@hey: I think I got rid of the weird neon colors, I tried to fix the AA. For some reason it seems like the display settings on my computer have been altered, so I'm not sure if I fixed the problem, but it looks better to me.. And I get the edit you made, if this were a sprite (and I would like to use it as a sprite at some point) I know I would need an outline for him instead of trying to blend him into the background.

I'm trying to learn the basics of pixel art and I thought I'd start with AA. This panda isn't detailed so I picked it as a starting point (he's a frequent doodle of mine).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 03:03:11 am by Apricot »

Offline Ninjafro

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:31:34 am
Dithering =/= good pixel art.  It is a style, but a worn out one at that. Try actually using three shades.