AuthorTopic: La Primera Espada- Bleach Spoiler  (Read 10106 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: La Primera Espada- Bleach Spoiler

Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 12:42:39 am
Refering to yourself there? :P

Yeah well they do, but it's just it doesn't fit the character. I think I caught him quite well as it is.
As much as your edit makes more sense then mine, it's just not Stark.

Reo: Glad you like it, I'll fix the brows tomorrow.

Edit:
There it is. I think it's done? I AA'ed as many parts as I could still find. I made his nose slightly larger, and hopefully I fixed the eyebrows.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:48:44 am by Opacus »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 10:35:35 pm
The eyes and the eyebrows are a bit honkywonky. For eyebrows it's fine, but the eyes are asymmetrically placed on the head (just mirror the image, I'm sure you can see it). Then there's the roundness of the guy. In the manga the dude seems to be drawn quite edgy. Like the hairline is very square and angular and the cheekbones are very prominent. I guess the long face is a bleach cool-guy feature?

The evenly spaced colors segment the face in an unwanted fashion. You could tighten a few colors together and use a some close values to handle the flat areas.... or dither like a madman.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 10:30:07 am
I can't get over the manga triangle nose on a realistically rendered dude, personally. There's a reason anime is cell shaded really. Not saying it can't be done with softer planes, but you'd need I think, to give him a real nose. Shout if you want an edit.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #13 on: December 25, 2008, 11:06:53 am
I think this is what huZba was mentioning:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #14 on: December 25, 2008, 10:00:37 pm
I am with Helm on this one. It looks very nice overall, but the nose coming from a point at the top looks way odd. Noses do not taper at the top like that.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 12:25:51 pm
I can't get over the manga triangle nose on a realistically rendered dude, personally. There's a reason anime is cell shaded really. Not saying it can't be done with softer planes, but you'd need I think, to give him a real nose. Shout if you want an edit.

Please do :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 01:18:46 pm

Get coffee, for there is critique.

• You don't need all these colors at this stage. I know how you like the hue shifts, but until you can get the geometry you need with 4-5 colors, all the subtle tints won't save it. Don't try to cheat with flash, you'll end up like these demoscene dudes that can pixel amazing but if you put a paper and a pencil in front of them they revert to drawing like they're 5 years old. You can be better than that if you don't try to cheat yourself. Pixel tech is all well and good but traditional skills will get you places.
  • Don't even bother with antialiasing and dithering until you're done with the volumes and shapes. Come on :) you've heard this a million times in this forum, I bet you've said it to people yourself, heh.
  • Don't draw hair and other things that partly obfuscate your shapes until you have your shapes down. Work on a larger canvas than what you're making will need. Be confident and comfortable with how your percieved model would sit in real space in the position you're drawing him in.
  • Anatomy: a lot of people have mentioned the lack of hard edges, so I went ahead and introduced a bit of that. The way you shade is very marshmellowy. You should instead hunt for edges and crevices in your hard male dude face and put highlights and darkened triangles to signify the variations in angle. The nose you used was completely invented so I generally suggest: draw from life for a while. Forget the anime, it'll probably hurt you to fetishize faces so early. A lot of people do (I did) and then we have to unlearn for 5 years, slowly, heh.
  • Your aa is too heavy. This is a matter of preference of course, but count my vote as against.

Now here's encouragment: I am glad to see you try new things, even by way of anime. I think instead of following my edit you should look at it and think "had I not seen it, what skills should I have in order to have made these changes on my own? Do I need to study real faces? Do I need to study objects in 3d space hit by a lightsource? Do I need to read the prometheus tutorial again?" and so on, heh. I'm not saying don't reference from my edit, but try to understand why I changed things, that is, if you think I changed them for the better. Once you get over your pixel art extravagant phase you'll realize that actually a lot less is needed to make a picture successful than you initially thought. Once the forms are solid, the anatomy there and it emotes something, the rest are just coating.

BTW version 3 is a color corrected one, just to show that you need more dark tones than you need mid-tones right now. And you have waaay too much light, but overexposed is a look that some people like, what do I know.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:22:26 pm by Helm »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 02:39:29 pm
Thank you Helm.
Why I have not read Arne's tutorials at all actually, so I'm doing it right now  :-[
Anyway, I will call this done for now. And I will study, study and study more.
(Oh, and don't worry: That's not an ear. His ear is completely covered by hair. My knowledge of anatomy is abysmal, but not that catastrophicly bad :D)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 03:16:23 pm
I didn't think it was an ear. I knew it was the jaw, but the jaw extended too far in the head, because you didn't construct before you put the hair on.