AuthorTopic: my current wip. Illithyd for PJ weekly challenge  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Benjamin

• View Profile

my current wip. Illithyd for PJ weekly challenge

on: January 01, 2009, 05:24:34 am
this is a piece im working on for the PJ weekly challenge, in particular, the time travel challenge, where you take an old non pixel piece from your gallery and pixel it.

I ended up getting a bit carried away with the size of things,but im far gone into it now, and don't want to start over. Posted below is the original piece, followed by the progress for the pixeled version.

In case anyone was wondering, the pallet is from the Pixel Art Day topic.lol

Any advice is appreciated

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: my current wip. Illithyd for PJ weekly challenge

Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 03:50:40 pm
I like the design and the mood but isn't this kinda huge-huge?

I don't mean to say that huge-huge is wrong, but exactly how do you plan to use your pixel art skills in a huge piece? It just becomes an excercise to do manual aa that will look the same as auto-aa if you're good, and of dithering to mix shades that will look the same as a cgi painting if you're good. I'd shrink this like, by four and work on it on the pixel level. If you can't see the pixels, what's the point of it being pixel art? If you can't appreciate it on 1x zoom and then go to 2x or 3x and look how harmoniously the little pixels are making up an illusion of something infinitely more detailed than really is there, what's the point?

But you say you don't want to reduce, so alright, here's some critique on the stage where you are:

you're shading every surface equally. You need to 'carve' volumes with your shadows. Here's a dirty edit with the darken brush in pro-motion. I DON'T SUGGEST YOU SHADE LIKE THIS, just to show the darkness is your ally: