AuthorTopic: [WIP] some guy fishing  (Read 3938 times)

Offline donom

• View Profile

[WIP] some guy fishing

on: December 11, 2008, 10:28:25 pm
First of all, I'm sorry for my last thread. This time I tried making the subject something less abstract so I can get feedback.

I plan to animate this, as long as I can do that and keep a calm feeling.

Critiques are wanted; I'll try not to disappear after I get a reply. Besides that.. can someone share good sources for reading about dithering and anti-aliasing?

Offline notoalpena

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] some guy fishing

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 08:30:45 pm
Cool, but shouldn't the rod be bent the other way?

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 09:10:53 pm
It's a special erectarod.

I like the guy, but the boat looks weird and the water is a bit pre-school style. I mean it can work if you have a clear design to go that way, but now it's conflicting. Google some boats and make it sink deeper, tilt it a bit to tell us that the guy has weight to him. Make the point where the fishing line meets the water visible to the viewer for more options to make it interesting. Make it a lake setting so you can put some tree line in the bg and vegetation in the water. Aaaand, do leave the dithering and antialiasing for the last. First work on the fundamentals. Those things don't really make a picture, they just add to the finish when you do have something that's great without them.

Offline donom

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 10:43:47 pm
Thanks for replying.

Cool, but shouldn't the rod be bent the other way?

I really don't know what I am doing, do I.. Thanks for pointing it out.

It's a special erectarod.

I like the guy, but the boat looks weird and the water is a bit pre-school style. I mean it can work if you have a clear design to go that way, but now it's conflicting. Google some boats and make it sink deeper, tilt it a bit to tell us that the guy has weight to him. Make the point where the fishing line meets the water visible to the viewer for more options to make it interesting. Make it a lake setting so you can put some tree line in the bg and vegetation in the water. Aaaand, do leave the dithering and antialiasing for the last. First work on the fundamentals. Those things don't really make a picture, they just add to the finish when you do have something that's great without them.

I tried adapting it to your suggestions:

and just realized I missed the fishing line part.

Update (08/12/15):

I'm not sure what to do with those plants. I feel they're attracting too much attention with their little outlined details and if I leave them as green blobs they don't look like plants.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:48:54 pm by donom »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 07:09:35 pm
There are more techniques than simply just outlining them or leaving them as flat-colored green blobs. Try shading them?

Offline donom

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:51:58 pm
Slowly trying to improve it.