AuthorTopic: Angry Salesman  (Read 3066 times)

Offline G_Dragon

• View Profile

Angry Salesman

on: December 12, 2008, 11:05:32 pm
He's more or less done. Just slowly getting back into the swing of things again. Anyways, I'll take any crits I get and will probably tweak him too.

14 colours.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Angry Salesman

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:21:42 am
Hey Dragon,

I felt the main problem was his face. It is not very readable, and it looks like he has no bottom jaw, just a pincer thing. I moved his face up one pixel, and drew a bottom chin. He only looks sad though, not mad or anything. The only emotional indicator in this is his mouth, which is just a frown, and his head is tilted down which makes him look sadder. I did a couple other minor things like add a pixel to his heel, I think it makes him more balanced. I made the line between his pants and coat be of the coat color, because the coat is over the pants, and I removed what I think are his coat tails because they were not reading, and I don't think his 50's style coat would have tails.

I like the hat however! It is done well.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 02:37:35 pm
Hey, interesting little character you got there! There are a few problems.

• Perspective. The head looks alright, but it looks like you've got two different perspectives going on for him. The body looks like it's facing directly toward us, and that doesn't match the head.
  • Boxy! You have a definite box around him, he looks like he's been locked in an uncomfortably square coffin for four years. Break it. Humans are curvy.
Also, it's mirrored and the colors should be different. Maybe give him blue jeans? Whats this for?
Try and make his legs less far apart and his hands behind his back.
EDIT:
Better edit (I like this idea, although it looks like a pissed indiana jones):

Take from it what you will.
Toodles!
Shrike

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:19:07 pm by Shrike »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 08:49:25 pm
I disagree with both those edits, sorry.  :-[

NaCl's makes him too boxy and head on, and Shrike's is too far from the original.

I think what you should focus on is fully utilizing the top down perspective, your head and hat were good but the body was flat. I think you should up the contrast, and saturate him a bit more. Use the red in his tie to give more life to his face.

Here's a quick edit that I hope will give you an idea on how to continue. (I didn't really address the hat because it wasn't as much of a problem.) :)