AuthorTopic: [C+C] Biokid : your pixel-sized top-tech antivirus  (Read 16201 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

[C+C] Biokid : your pixel-sized top-tech antivirus

on: December 09, 2008, 06:38:38 pm
2008 --revival-->-->--redesign-->-->
Here is a small character i've drawn for a possible shoot-m-up game, where he will mostly sky-surfing and shoot at computer viruses and trojans.
Most of the colours came from the NES palette, though it's more for convenience than a restriction of any kind.

I'd love to hear your comments and critique.

PS: I was first suggested this "blue computer cop" loong time ago -- at a time i didn't knew of Megaman. I'd also like to have your opinion on whether you see it like a rip-off of the megaman design or if it has some originality of its own to your eyes.

adn now, 2010 --refined-design--> --re-pixelation-->
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:23:33 am by PypeBros »

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Re: [C+C] Character for a shoot-m-up

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:15:57 pm
i find the character pretty original alright, the colours could be a little less contrasted, but maybe thats just me, i dunno.
with some little animation this will definitely look good, also the skin colour is too yellow.  :crazy:

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:29:48 pm

Edit of yours, then made a drastically different version, since it does resemble megaman a bit, few hue shifts done to the dude because I don't know, purple and yellow didn't seem very cop-like. Only thing intended to really help you was the original edit, I guess the one I created was just to get your own juices going, you gotta think outside of the box with your designs(Plus, just felt this urge to pixel heh).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:34:08 pm by bengoshia »

Offline BlackDragon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:18:31 am
Just another stlye suggestion:

You really don't need to use that many colors. Use contrast!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 03:56:40 am

not sure what the original point i was trying to make was, but here's a few things that i came to while working :

there are a lot of ways to draw and pose a figure but in the end you want something fairly dynamic, or that's making a point of being undynamic.  This is particularly good for when you go to animate - how many ways can my edit spring out of his current pose? yours?

it's sometimes good to design a character out of simple shapes because it's clearer to see and easier to animate.

color fills with some shading aren't quite enough at low-res, you need a bit more to define edges.  mine could be overcartoony but i wouldn't want much less edge definition than bengoshia offers.

no matter what i think, blue guy with helmet and gun-arm is megaman.  a color change at least could be in order.

it's a good start though and i hope you take it nice places :D
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 08:55:12 am
@christie : your proposed new design opens up interresting possibilities. I realise that the kind of helmet i used together with the heavy armour thend to make him stiffy.

The first pose of mine was indeed very "un-dynamic". I tried to make him more "surfing" on the last two (though it's barely noticable compared to your edit).

I guess i could have him hold a gun rather than having an arm-gun ... i still have to find how to make him look like a bio-inspired nanotech cybercop that has been *engineered* for fighting without that gun-arm...

As for the blue color ... in my own mind blue=cop and so the previous (ugly and not worth-showing) episodes of Biokid (yeah, that's his ridiculous name) used red as the main color for his opponents. Green is likely to be a common background colour (since this all happens within a computer, so expect tron/matrix-inspired backgrounds.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 10:31:34 am
I think it looks pretty nice. whats wrong with the image though? when I click to zoom, it does some sort of filtering. is it cause its a png?

the only risk I see of drawing such a round, stumpy character is that it may be hard to pose him, since the limbs arent long enough to provide with poses that are that diferentiated.
ndchristie came up with quite a nice solution
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:33:04 am
I think it looks pretty nice. whats wrong with the image though? when I click to zoom, it does some sort of filtering. is it cause its a png?

Your browser is now firefox3. Enjoy.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 04:18:17 pm
Now I think the character could work like this regarding posing, though it has no sense of depth.The back arm is darker, yet thec back leg is not, and there is no form of transition from front to back on the torso and head. You should work this out in a less flat way, else any animation will make the viewer lose all sense of what's going on.

PS: Let's all step back to internet explorer, there you can at least turn the damn filter off :D

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 05:20:26 pm
The back arm is darker, yet thec back leg is not, and there is no form of transition from front to back on the torso and head.

Point taken.