AuthorTopic: Floating Robot  (Read 3398 times)

Offline bigblackbootybuster

• View Profile

Floating Robot

on: January 02, 2009, 09:40:12 am

Little steampunk-ish floaty robot for a game I'm making. I'm kind of stumped at what more I could do; I'm not too good at pixel art, and I hope that some of you may be able to teach me how to improve my sprites  :)

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: Floating Robot

Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:53:58 am
The only thing that stands out to me at the moment is the flatness of the steam. You could use that highlight color on the window/eye thingy, actually, so you don't even need to add colors! Yaaaay.

Though, that might be hard to make look realistic.. Good luck!
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:05:47 am
I'm kind of confused at which 'direction' it's supposed to be facing, if at all. If it is even able to face a direction. Anyway, that's not really important. You could give it more life (yes I know it's a robot) by adding some parts or making some of the current parts move a bit. And the edge of the window/eye looks like it's rotating or blinking.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 04:33:22 pm
i'd be researching more colours (maybe copper for joints or something alike). The "chimney" isn't that efficient imho. It should at least be something that is at the back of the robot, and given that the robot is exhaling steam to fly, its interest is arguable.
Maybe it'd be worth replacing it with one of those speed-control devices with rotating balls a centrifugal governor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_governor
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 04:38:29 pm by PypeBros »

Offline bigblackbootybuster

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:00:56 pm

The only thing that stands out to me at the moment is the flatness of the steam. You could use that highlight color on the window/eye thingy, actually, so you don't even need to add colors! Yaaaay.

Though, that might be hard to make look realistic.. Good luck!
All right, added.

I'm kind of confused at which 'direction' it's supposed to be facing, if at all. If it is even able to face a direction. Anyway, that's not really important. You could give it more life (yes I know it's a robot) by adding some parts or making some of the current parts move a bit. And the edge of the window/eye looks like it's rotating or blinking.

It's slightly facing the viewer. I had some difficulty making more things move; i tried, but im not exactly satisfied.

i'd be researching more colours (maybe copper for joints or something alike). The "chimney" isn't that efficient imho. It should at least be something that is at the back of the robot, and given that the robot is exhaling steam to fly, its interest is arguable.
Maybe it'd be worth replacing it with one of those speed-control devices with rotating balls a centrifugal governor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_governor

Ok, i added a governor instead of the train whistle thing (i realize that there's no fuel valve). Are you saying that i should move my colors to more of a copper color, or that i should add another color?

New: