AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG Tiles [Tiles in progress: Tree]  (Read 9714 times)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: [WIP] RPG Tiles [Tiles in progress: Tree]

Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 03:56:18 pm
I went back to the stone tiles and attempted to clean them up and improve them, despite getting no critique on them.

I fixed some shading issues and jagged lines.

I thought I was heading in a better direction as I was working on improving the tiles, but looking at the previous version, I'm not so sure.. Which do you guys think looks better? Tell me so I can start making a few more.

Also, C&C on the tree so far, so I can continue. Thank you.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 04:46:10 pm
I like the first one, however there is a very noticible line going through it.
Have a look at Veirbit's previous post about that grass tile!!!!!!!
You need more variation to break the grid nicely.

Nice work and keep working on that tree:) They are one of the hardest things to do.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:48:13 pm by Jim16 »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 09:33:32 am
Yeah, tell me about it.. I think I got off to a great start considering my level of experience (virtually none). Thanks for your critique on my stone path, and I'll surely add more tiles to break up the monotony. I was just wondering on the overall style between the two.
Is there any specific reason why you like the first one better?

On a different note, here's on an update on my tree:

->

What do you think? Takes up too much space? Lose the branch that curls around the tree? Too smooth? (That can probably be fixed later, though..)

I thought I would fare better drawing all the branches first (haven't done the main trunk splitting up into branches yet.) This takes more time, but it's good practice, and will probably help me with creating the canopy and creating an overall better end-result. Does everyone agree? C&C much needed, like always. The more mistakes I can learn from, the better.

Also, I think I foresee a problem with the styles of my art conflicting with each other, when used together, and I'm not really sure how to go about fixing that, but it isn't a problem yet, so hopefully it won't happen at all.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 09:36:07 am by Dr D »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 09:52:57 am
I suggest you start working on the canopy. The branches will be mostly covered up anyway, so get cracking on the hard part.