AuthorTopic: [WIP] Lite Brite (band)  (Read 4596 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

[WIP] Lite Brite (band)

on: December 11, 2008, 11:47:45 am
I'm working on a piece of this band Lite Brite.

I'm having trouble with the middle and right guy's hair, don't really have any clue on how I'm going to do it. Here is the work:

And one of the reference pics:

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Lite Brite (band)

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 03:21:36 pm
You need more contrast on their faces, can hardly see their features. Like nose, mouth, eyes, the colors need to be way darker and more defined. Also in the ref pic, the guy's arms start from his hair and you can't see his neck, on yours it has a neck and shoulders and is diff stance. Idk it depends on how closely you follow the ref, I guess, but it puts a cool perspective to have him leaning forward bigger than the other dudes.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:53:45 am
Hey Corinthian, thanks for the input. I made the shadows darker as you suggested, and it looks better. As for the main guys pose, I am going to consider playing with it, but I was not trying to fully recreate the picture. Just take the clothes and essence from it. Here is an updated version where I tried to make the facial detaial clearer, added more shading, and tried to do the right guys hair.

I'm still looking for some input, so if you have any suggestions or crits please feel free to leave them.

Thanks.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:30:40 am
Really, you still need laodsm ore contrast still.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:48:13 am
I think I had it like that because it was concealing some flaws in the piece. I made the shadows darker, and then changed the shading on the face. Then, I made it darker and changed the shadows again to see what it looked like.

Dark:

Darker:

Also, an explanation of how to achieve contrast correctly would be helpful. Right now, to get the darker shades, I am lowering luminosity. Is there a better way to get highlights and shadows from the midtone?

Thanks.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 12:57:40 pm
Is there a better way to get highlights and shadows from the midtone?
There's no surefire solution, but I generally like to use less saturation for my shadows and more for my highlights. Hueshifting should also be taken into account. For light, caucasian skin tones, I generally shift from more peachy shadows to more yellow highlights.

Great characterizations! The lack of outlines is also a nice style choice. I look forward to seeing where you go with this! :)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:31:08 am
Hey wexxl0rz, thanks for the ideas on making shadows and highlights. I used them for the middle guys hair on this update:

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 02:56:51 pm
the only crit i can think of is that the guy on the left is that his hair curls out your just sort of stops

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 02:26:55 am
Hey balls01, could you elaborate? The guy on the left (with the brown hair) has a little flippy bit that I put on his left, is that what you were talking about? Or do you mean the guy on the right, the edge texture is not suggesting curls?

In this update I redid the right guys hair texture

« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:15:09 am by NaCl »