AuthorTopic: Remaking Flashback...  (Read 18400 times)

Offline dkh

• View Profile
    • Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth

Re: Remaking Flashback...

Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 03:34:42 pm
Thanks for that edit, I didn't really touch the radiator in the versions before (forgot it like I kinda forgot that TV screen). In this next version, I've only had time to play around with it a little, I like your version better though (what I have there at the moment really sucks :P), I'll see what I can do.

What I'm looking for right now the most is really information on whether what I have there is "okay" so that I can keep pushing new tiles and stuff or whether there are still fundamental issues or whatever and all new stuff that I'd create would be wasted.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 03:38:18 pm
I'd make more wall decals of scratches and stuff, perhaps more panel segmentations etc otherwise it looks great to me!

Please remake the main character according to your skill though and don't use my edit :)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 05:09:12 pm
I don't mean to pop in with vague and potentially useless criticisms but to me this doesn't "feel" like flashback much.  Nice piece, nice atmosphere, but not really what i understood your goal to be (to echo the original game).  There's something, I dunno, both too plastic and too dingy about it at the same time.  Sorry to be so unintelligible on this.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 09:59:34 pm
It lacks the coherent design acumen of the Flashback art people, which doesn't say much since none of us are these people to help him. Also he's referencing my inferior old art more than he's referencing the actual game which while maddening also might explain this 'not flashback' effect you're getting a bit.

I think that even if it's not as close to flashback it's good art, a good tileset. It looks convincing to me.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 02:47:36 am
yes i should mention again that i think it's quite the set.  the only thing that bugs me (if i clear my mind of flashback) is the bars on the gate, i think they could be less bandy (maybe lighten towards the foreground?)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 05:36:00 pm
Lovely tiles! As ndchrisite has pointed out, it's a bit far from flashback, but over all I like how it looks. I also agree with Helm's advice on the walls- make them more interesting to look at.

You might also want to put more "action" into your characters. Right now, they're just standing around. Could the main character be walking? Jumping? Anything to give the scene more flow and motion.

Good job and good luck!

Offline dkh

• View Profile
    • Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth

Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 09:17:23 pm
Thanks for the positive feedback on this! :)

I'd like to clarify that I'm not really trying to get all that close to Flashback, the title says it as a joke (heck, I haven't even finished the game) - I was studying its style (or rather, Helms work from years ago) not to recreate it or really try and capture the feeling, I was doing it to become a better pixel artist. This may sound obvious but maybe I haven't made that clear before! As long as it's nice and people like it, I could give a rat's ass about whether it feels like Flashback or not! :P

I will work over the player character, Helm, no worries. Haven't started working on him at all (apart from trying out giving him those shades, that is) - the way I do these things is start out with a non-shaded version, then I work out the frames for the main animations (including idleing [breathing for example], running, walking, jumping etc.) and THEN I'll refine the shading. This usually shifts the focus from the single sprites to the animations, somewhat like Metal Slug does it, hopefully resulting in fluid animations rather than extremely well worked out single frames. Of course, for those frames that the player will be looking at un- or barely animated for a longer time, I'll actually make sure these look adequate (such as the standing frame).

More wall stuff (segmentations) is planned, I will draw the tiles in-game (if it ever comes to this) in three layers, one background (for the walls and everything far in the back), the object layer (which is still drawn behind the player, but in front of the walls [for the rails that are further away for example]) and the foreground stuff (which will be drawn in front of the player [for the rails in front of the player, the "front" parts of the gates etc.]). I was just too lazy to work these segmentations into more parts of the mock-up because I work with Pro Motion which doesn't support layers and I'd have to shift a lot of pixels.

I will work on the bar colors some more, I agree they're not perfect yet, thanks for the input there! :)

Dex: This is intended as a mock-up, not a stand-alone pixel art piece/scene. The enemies are all standing around there but they will be animated in the game, just don't have them that far yet. Hope this makes sense!

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 07:31:54 am
Aren't you still using helm's doorframe, though?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 08:04:03 am
Probably the design and not the pixels.

By the way, I just noticed: At 2x (with the firefox failfiltering) this piece is very interesting to look at.