AuthorTopic: Overwarm - Run Clyde, Run! Meet Gribbs! [new] PortaProblem?  (Read 15286 times)

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile
Ok well, I am working in collaboration with another person for a GM competition. I feel that we can win, because he is a great programmer, and we eventually have good sprites. With some help from you guys of course. I made this tonight, took me about an hour or so. It started out really bad, because I haven't pixeled anything seriously forever. But it turned out ok. The only problem is, I need Clyde to be much better looking, have a more boyish face, a much better body, and more dynamic overall. Once I get the main sprite done, its going to be on to animating the little guy. So I need all the crits I can get now. After all that smack, here he is:

Clyde

I am going for a slightly overexaggerated, cartoon cheery look, sorta like if Ratchet & Clank were sprites. I need help with the eye and face, and the hair as well. I'm pretty happy with the hat, but any crits are welcome.

Sokota

Current Version | Clyde and Mel

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 01:55:41 am by Sokota »

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Re: Clyde - Platforming Character needs your help D:

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:16:43 pm
I dont' see any picture
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline PASSOUT

• The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 08:26:50 pm
Wow, I just fell out of my chair. Anyway I'll work from the top down.

Hat:
-Define you light source dont out line it with a darker shade if its sosposed to be lit
-Propeller seemed to high up
-the shapes on the hat needed to be more triangle like
Hair:
-The front of the hair is very unnatural, It looks as though it just flops down.
Face:
-Theres no mouth! He cant breathe. lol
-More shading and also needs highlights
Shirt:
-The arm creates shadow over the body, darken it up.
-Put highlight on bolth the arm and shirt/sleeve.
Shorts:
-Very square
-Need highligts
Feet:
-Look rather big and round

As for color I would just use what you got there its always fun and enjoyable to see what you can do.

Here:

I outlined it in black so it can stand out againts the back ground.

Oh and good luck with the GM competition.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:28:21 pm by PASSOUT »
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 09:26:09 pm
Wow, I just fell out of my chair. Anyway I'll work from the top down.
What for?  ???
Hat:
-Define you light source dont out line it with a darker shade if its sosposed to be lit
-Propeller seemed to high up
-the shapes on the hat needed to be more triangle like
Thanks, it does look better now. You utilized colors better than I did D:.
Hair:
-The front of the hair is very unnatural, It looks as though it just flops down.
Well, I don't know if adding more..whats the word..locks of hair improves it or not. Need more opinions on that.
Face:
-Theres no mouth! He cant breathe. lol
-More shading and also needs highlights
He's not supposed to have a mouth. I had lots of trouble shading the face. Yours is better, but I think that I need help on the eyes, and making them more cutesy and boyish.
Shirt:
-The arm creates shadow over the body, darken it up.
-Put highlight on bolth the arm and shirt/sleeve.
Erm, now the torso looks like it has chunky noise. I dunno, just me. I'll try to improve it. I don't even like the anatomy  much, but not sure how to change it, and keep it cartoonish and caricatured.
Shorts:
-Very square
-Need highligts
Yeah, I realize the anatomy is very bad. Thanks for the help.
Feet:
-Look rather big and round
They are supposed to, but maybe I could make them slightly smaller and rework them somehow.
As for color I would just use what you got there its always fun and enjoyable to see what you can do.

Here:

I outlined it in black so it can stand out againts the back ground.

Oh and good luck with the GM competition.
Thanks for all the help. I need more opinions/help though. I'm kinda dissatisfied with the whole thing, as I want it to look dynamic and more 3dish. Also, I'm working on not adding any outlines, especially black, and I think that it might detract from your edit as well. But thanks for everything! Will try to take things into account, and will post an update later today, I think, addressing those issues.
Sokota

Offline PASSOUT

• The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:44:06 pm
Yeah I don't know much, just make it how you see it.
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:35:26 am
Eh, I need more help on this! I have a timetable, so I need this sprite to look as good as possible asap. Anymore crits suggestions before I work on revising it?

Sokota

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 07:48:27 am
that looks like he has blue pee and wee'd his nappy theres no leggings for those shorts :lol: change the background too saurated its would be better using the dark green in the gm editor

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Sokota

• WeThePuppets
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 08:49:26 am
Well, started over with the same palette (Not too worried about colors yet), and just starting throwing blobs of color around, and this is what came out. I love it loads more than the other one, and it's much closer to what I envisioned the character as, but the anatomy is still wonky, and now he looks more iso than platform. I wanted a more 3/4 platform sprite, but I think the angle is too much. I need help now. I'm not sure how to place the arms or legs, and I need to make it so that the angle is a bit more platform. But, enough negative things. Do you like the new hat/hair?

Sokota

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 09:17:16 am
i preferred the first one, i don't really think the new one has as much character, id suggest looking into some street fighter sprites, the style is relatively simple but effective, i think your problem is your looking at the whole thing while your drawing, it'll work much better if you focus on individual parts till they look right (obviously after drawing a basic outline) remember to try to draw from references, figure out why different body parts look the way they do.

http://www.geocities.com/skulkraken2002/ go to tsugumo chapter 9, it looks confusing if you skim over it but the effort pays off

also try to work on a more neutral colour like Grey. i might get around to an edit when my mouse stops screwin around

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:19:46 am
the answer to your iso character my friend is that its on a isometrical grid

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt