AuthorTopic: I'm making a paint program, so useful tools, ideas and features required please  (Read 158145 times)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Ok, First of all I want to make an apology..

At the start of this project, people stated that the GUI and icons were too big, the colours too bright and the contrast too great. Although initially reluctant, I then started the process of improving the colours and contrast, but was more resistant to alter the GUI. This was because I was worried that I would get bogged down with the GUI section and lose motivation.

However.. After comparing the latest version to first early screenshots I have to say that you were all right. It does look far better now, and the smaller GUI will let me add in many more features at the same time.

So I apologise for being stubborn at the beginning, I think I couldn't quite see the wood for the trees as such.

And, so Thank you all for your invaluable C&C, and ideas so far!! I hope they continue.. :)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Added:
  • New 20 x 20 pixel non-embossed icons
  • Readded non-canvas coloured backround
  • Added small mini font sized icons for Brightness and Zoom sliders (instead of a letter or text)
  • Made the colour of the co-ordinates white and the descriptor (x, y, grid x, grid y, etc..) grey. This makes the values easier to see at a glance
  • Made palette changes using palette tools (copy, cut, ramp, insert, delete) show the effect in the edited image (oops!)
  • Hopefully fixed fill bug
  • Added Infinite image drawing Undo/Redo (still need to add separate palette undo/redo)
  • Readded Left mouse button / Right mouse button tool defaults, i.e. empty box / filled box when clicking on tool icon (These now use external data, so can be user-edited)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Added:
  • Palette box uses grey lines as outlines around swatches if an entry is too dark for black lines to be seen
  • Co-ordinates when drawing boxes, lines, ellipses now start from 1 x 1, instead of 0 x 0, to make it easier to judge widths and heights
  • Co-ordinates now can be drawn with negative numbers again
  • Ellipses and boxes had become badly broken, now hopefully completely fixed so should be pixel perfect
  • Sub-pixel accuracy when drawing ellipses/circles in an Expanding draw mode. Now can have radiuses of odd as well as even values
  • When drawing squares or circles then the maximum width and height variable is used so the cursor is always on an edge, ala ProMotion
  • Brush cursor on/off/crosshair now uses external data variable
  • Added Dpaint style inverse crosshair (full image width and height - unlike ProMotion) for when drawing filled shapes or a fill tool

All these are little things which greatly improve the feel and functionality when working on an image.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 04:26:55 pm by happymonster »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Screenshot:

Latest demo for testing purposes:
http://www.funkemunke.com/Pixe_Demo.zip
 :)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
No need to apologise! I think many of us know how much of a pressure it can be to work on something all by yourself, so I think we can understand when changing some things feels like just a bit too much.

I'm way past satisfied just seeing you can change your mind when you see someone else is right =) all the more amped to keep watchin' on this one!

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Thanks!  ;D

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant
Things:
  • The cricle/ellipse from-centre sizing is wierd when draging the shape out. The diameter goes from 2 to 1 to 4 to 3 to 6...
  • Don't get any even sizes with from-centre sized squares.
  • Colour doesn't update when dragging on the planar colour selector.

Starting to get quite usable now, just need layers, a Linux build and screen-space panning yet.  :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:46:13 am by surt »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
The cricle/ellipse from-centre sizing is wierd when draging the shape out. The diameter goes from 2 to 1 to 4 to 3 to 6...
Oh! I don't get that, it goes from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.. on mine. I'll have to take a look at that again.

Don't get any even sizes with from-centre sized squares.
Yes, I still need to add this.

Colour doesn't update when dragging on the planar colour selector.
I need to add this too, which really will need code to seperate the gui from the drawing operation (so the gui doesn't slow down too much).

Brushes next..

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
Ok..! I DO get the bug on mine, seems I broke something just before release.. DOH!
I've also seen another bug I need to fix.

Oh well, the next version will be fixed. :)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile
I'm going to be working on some core features like user-brushes next (including some things I've not seen in other programs). So updates might not be as frequent.