AuthorTopic: [WIP]Alien/Robotic Hybrids(From Space) character sprite(s)  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Claredeth

• View Profile
This is a collective topic of pixels for my project working on fine details of stranger beings.  Also I'm busting into a new computer monitor so I really need some contrast crits, because my screen may have higher contrast between shades.

C+C Please

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: [WIP]Alien/Robotic Hybrids(From Space) character sprite(s)

Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:34:05 am
I have no idea what that is suposed to be. Ok, you can hide it behind the "Alien/robotic Hybrids (from space)" mask, but that shouldnt be an excuse to make something with so little hits of what it may be.
could you please post the concept art for this?
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Claredeth

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:39:46 am
I honestly have no idea where the drawing is atm, I was just digging through some linearts i had on a CD.

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:11:12 pm
What the hell is that? Is that even a person? If it is, it looks horribly mutated and disfigured, like as if it's made out of wax and got melted.

Offline Claredeth

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:27:32 am

C+C Please

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 01:05:47 am
Claredeth, i'm not trying to be an ass, and I'm pretty sure Ryona wasn't eigther. what I mean with "I have no idea what that is suposed to be" is that I can't critic or comment something that I have no understanding of.

what it looks like to me right now is a man/shark hybrid that is going into some boiling/bursting animation and we are looking at one frame from that sequence. and if that's the case then good job. otherwise I have no idea what to critic or comment on.

I'm not having a go at you. its just you cant expect to put something up, with so little information, that looks like nothing that people would recognize and expect propper critics.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:00:57 am
Umm... the arm closest to us is a rectangle. Maybe fix that?
And like Kazuya said, we're not trying to be rude, we just need to know what this piece IS.
If this was intended to be a bird, I could give valid c+c, namely the lack of wings and a beak. But it's some kind of purple monster thing, and I don't know much about what purple monster things look like, so I can't really help you.
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 07:28:54 pm
Guys, I don't think it matters what it is, rather how it was done. Claredeth was kind enough to repeat his request for critique when he didn't get any (instead of arguing with you all), so I think we should respect him enough to stay on topic. Design-wise, it's sort of a Frankenstein, but it's his creation, he obviously wanted it this way.

It would benefit from more saturation. The forms are solid, but I can't tell where the forms are at a glance as clearly as I should be able to. Readability is one of the most important things in pixel art, assuming this is meant to be taken at face value as a character in a game or something. The darks should also be darker to help sculpt it better. I used to always do my pixel art washed out until I zoomed out at the end, it's an easy thing to miss when you're so close.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:30:33 pm by Atnas »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 09:14:21 pm
The arm closest to use seems darker, and therefore more distance than the arm furthest from us. In addition to that, the emblem on the chest, and the difference in brightness makes all depth and volume look like it has nothing to do with the shape. As if you put a mask on a photograph so to say.

What you should do is design the alien, before adding the robot -> as when something gets robotic, it is likely because it's organic parts were damaged. So if you sort out a good alien with decent, repeatable, anatomy and the likes, THEN you can rip off stuff and replace it for machine. I recommend you doing this so you know what you are applying volumes at more. If you THEN redo the volumes and shading (thus depth), you will much more likely achieve something that is much more readable.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 10:13:15 pm
Whereas the 'I don't understand what it's supposed to be' critique is valid, saying 'what the hell is that, is that even a person' is assy. Hence a strike. Please more considerations for the feelings of the artist next time.