AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1013881 times)

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #230 on: December 11, 2008, 05:11:49 am
st0ven had it in his tutorials. it was called interlacing. and a mirror of it can be found here under Samurai > Raven's tuts > interlacing.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #231 on: December 11, 2008, 09:00:15 am
perfect.
thats exactly what i was looking for.
thanks

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #232 on: December 12, 2008, 10:45:36 am
Does anyone here have Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia?
Now am I the only one who thinks that the walkcycle of the maincharacter is total garbage? (google won't spit it out, sorry)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 10:47:24 am by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #233 on: December 12, 2008, 05:58:05 pm
It's floaty but I think it's decent. Floaty seems the standard of Castlevania walk cycles anyways. It's a lot better than some of the previous games, aria of sorrow was the worst I think, It looked like Soma was doing the hustle.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #234 on: December 12, 2008, 07:30:41 pm
Castlevania games always tend to have very slow walk cycles that don't tend to match their actual movement across the ground.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #235 on: December 12, 2008, 09:01:31 pm
I guess the reasoning would be that they wanted the walk cycle to be somewhat smooth and effortless, but they also wanted the character to move quite fast, so we have a strange end result. I think the first GBA castlevania had the guy running and it looked very comical, as if he was running for his life.

It might need some fundamental retooling to change it. Like changes in the world scale, movement speed, game speed, interaction frequency and so forth.
So if they changed just the walking animation to pants-on-fire-running to match the speed, it would look even weirder, cause the movement speed is quite fast.

I haven't done much character animations so that might be a good subject to study and see if there's a way to improve it. The whole thing might even be up to just them going with what the artists have accustomed to or bad habits.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #236 on: December 13, 2008, 12:52:22 am
That animation looks like a perfectly fitting walk with a few frames slapped on the extremes (to make it smoother I guess) which makes it look off.
To me, it looks like simply deleting those frames would already result in something more fitting.
Which is what makes this even more irritating, they destroyed a perfectly fine walking cycle.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #237 on: December 13, 2008, 06:37:50 pm
I could only find crappy youtube footage but it does sync up with the actual movement very poorly. There's any number of reasons for why this could have occured - maybe the artist never saw it in-game, maybe he was told to add frames to make it smoother by a producer who doesn't understand what makes a good animation. Or maybe the artist just copied the status quo - Symphony of the Night had a similar run cycle if I recall, and just as slide-tastic.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #238 on: December 13, 2008, 10:40:32 pm
So. Savage 2 went and became free to download and play. Still some things that you can't have unless you pay, but they're measly little things like 2 extra inventory slots. All units and all maps on all servers are now available for anyone to play for free. If you haven't heard of it, it's a weird team based online action game with RPG and RTS influences. RPG because you can level up and gain gold with which to buy items in-game, but that stuff resets inbetween rounds. And RTS because, sort of like Battlefield but even more intricate, each team has a commander that can fly his magical camera across the map and place orders and build structures, unlocking a tech tree that allows the other players to choose new classes to play as.

So, I downloaded it again. I did play the beta a bit, started to learn what it's about, then my computer died, way back whenever. So far, I'm mostly confused. The learning curve is more of a learning wall. But I've still had a few of those genuine fun moments you only get in fairly large multiplayer games. And unlike most team based action games, the teams play really really differently, which is awesome. Humans are weak but versatile and have good long range attacks. Beasts are insanely powerful but a bit clumsy and sometimes too specific for their own good. It's pretty fun. Check it out if you want some free, hard to learn, multiplayer action.

Yay I'm a walking commercial...

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #239 on: December 18, 2008, 06:32:16 pm
Hey all, back from the wedding/honeymoon stuff.

Just thought I'd stop in, say hi, and see whats new.

Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama