AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1014035 times)

Offline Raytheon

• bepp bepp
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #150 on: November 21, 2008, 06:39:36 pm
I got 222 now too :)
Total time logged in: 22h 2m
i am a computern

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #151 on: November 21, 2008, 07:50:20 pm
On another note, is anyone playing Fallout 3? I have it and have played for a bit, but i'm restricting myself because of my wedding in 2 weeks but I'm dying to play so bad.
Yeah! I beat it the day after it came out- still playing it though, catching up on all the stuff I missed. I really do love it, so much interesting stuff to find just by walking around. I actually just found Dogmeat, too. :hehe:

Serious? Thats dissapointing. I remember spending a long time on fallout 1 just to get to the end. I hate games that you can beat in a few days, super mario galaxy for example was great and all, but beating it in a few days made me feel dissapointed. We'll see, I tend to take my time with games like fallout.

1 question, I ran into an invisible wall when I was playing, does this remain throughout the game?
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #152 on: November 21, 2008, 08:17:13 pm
I played fallout 4 hours or so and after talking with a friend of mine who has played it more, it seems I'm almost at the end. I like the freedom to develop your character to pretty much anything, but in the end it felt just as pointless as in oblivion, unless you really want to collect items a lot.

At times it had okay story bits and such, but mostly the dialogue is unnatural, characters are robots and the world is surprisingly bland. I didn't feel the horrors of nuclear radiation, there was no despair, no joy, it was all very monotonous at least so far. Some places had good ideas and such, but the presentation just takes the edge off of everything.
For example, you walk in to the first town, there's a guy who offers you a detonator for the nuke. No-one around reacts to this and it's odd how he offers it to some random guy who comes in. The mutant guy at the bar became friendly instantly when you selected the nice line and so forth and that seemed to be the case with most of them mutants. Extremely xenophobic people don't usually become your friends the moment you say something nice to them...... you know, cause the moment they let their guard down the anti mutant guy would take advantage of the situation.
I don't know how much people work at bethesda, but one guy dedicated to making the characters emote would've been enough. Currently they can only sit, stand, or move their mouths, that's it. In fallout 2 they moved around, made expressions and such.

I've found the game to be lots of fun regardless, but for reasons other than the characters or story. I invested all my level up points on unarmed, melee and stealth, so now i can just pwn everything with a knife or a sword. Even the supermutants go down with 2 or 3 slashes, which is kind of odd, since my brother is at the same location in his save and the same enemies take like a 100 shots from the minigun. He's also at a higher level than me, so the enemies probably level up as you do.

@dogmeat
Some places have none, some places are filled with invisible walls. There's a few city locations that have very specific paths that you can't stray from.

I'm on the fence with this game at the moment. Occasionally there would be great immersion, but it's constantly interrupted by things mentioned before and BUGS!

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #153 on: November 21, 2008, 11:34:06 pm
Hey huZba,

I played the original fallout religiously, I think i've probably beaten it over 10 times. All the things you said were lacking from Fallout 3 are things I thought were present in Fallout 1, whats your take on this?

I really thought Interplay was one of the most innovative game companies of its time, its sad that the gaming market has turned into a mass marketing, focus group driven monster.

The only hard game I've played in the last 10 years was contra4 on the ds.

Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Dokozai

• View Profile

Reply #154 on: November 22, 2008, 12:35:16 am
http://xxkittxx.deviantart.com/art/RockStar-104235089

PIXELART STEALER!

:yell:
Angry, that is what I am.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #155 on: November 22, 2008, 12:36:32 am
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #156 on: November 22, 2008, 01:51:26 am
Yeah, a lot of bethesda's robot-people scare the hell out of me. Especially when you begin talking to someone who isn't already facing you and they slooooooowly turn their head to look at you while speaking. Though it isn't as bad as oblivion (one of the reasons I only played oblivion for two hours then dropped it) it's still rather unnerving.

I've actually gone back and started playing fallout 2, just for experience' sake, and I like that fallout 2 gives you little to no inclination as to what skills will help you where. There's no {intelligence} "That looks like a sub-atomic particle cannon!", you've somewhat gotta think for yourself and figure out what skill you should be using where.

Don't understand the point of the {skill} tags in fallout 3 anyways, it just de-mystifies the game by telling you that your character can only do this because of the numerical value of his intelligence stat... as opposed to your character can do this beacuse of any number of mysterious things. Not that realism in games is always something to strive for, but it seemed to mechanize the characters even further, which doesn't seem to serve a positive purpose.

At least the tagged conversation options weren't always good ones.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #157 on: November 22, 2008, 02:16:31 am
http://xxkittxx.deviantart.com/art/RockStar-104235089

PIXELART STEALER!

:yell:
Angry, that is what I am.

Checked the profile of the dude and the gallery. I do not see the problem. It's all fighter sprite rips but he tells where they are from and does not pretend he made em. Lame but not a thief as such.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #158 on: November 22, 2008, 11:16:24 am
Fallout 3 is amazing. I've spent close to 40 hours on it so far and basically gotten nowhere in the main quest. The only thing that's disappointing me is the level cap. Seriously, I'm on 16 now, I'll have maxed before I even pick up the main quest again, and I don't like when I'm not able to develop my character any further. I hear there's a mod that slows down the rate at which you level.. I think I'll pick that up before my next playthrough.

Because that's the positive side of such a low cap. You're forced to play it over and over again to try out different things. Not like Oblivion where you eventually end up with practically all your stats maxed.

I feel a lot like I'm playing Oblivion when I'm playing F3. But it's just better in every way. The gameplay mechanics, aside from VATS and shooting, feel a lot like Oblivion, but the gameplay itself feels much more streamlined, the setting is more interesting and better designed, skills are more unique and useful, enemies actually have some variety to them, and the quests and dialogs are infinitely more intricate. There are so many dialog options everywhere, I love it! It's also neat that the main quest is slightly open, also. I've been trying to stay away from it, like I did with Oblivion, especially since the game ends when the main quest is over. I thought I could just keep away from the dude in Megaton and I'd be fine. But many hours later, I stumble upon some tapes that reveal the name of the place my dad went off to. And later, I just stumble upon that location, completely involuntarily. I think I've skipped several parts of the main quest. And it's nice that you can do that! Especially since I can do it the long way with my next character and experience something completely different.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #159 on: November 22, 2008, 02:58:17 pm
What do you think, are mobile phone games going out of fashion? I've seen very few mobile game ads recently. Apparently iPhone is gaining popularity as a gaming platform, but what about the other phones?