AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1014743 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2520 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:06 pm

On an unrelated note, my friend's working on this game (art director and concept art I believe, possibly models aswell) which is looking really lovely (even in this very early stage), so thought I'd share. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIiEPghrV9o&feature=plcp

Not sure if it's gameplay or animation, but it looks kinda stiff, doesn't it?
I like the art though, but in some cases the outlines are a bit messy (too many at the same time).

Yeah she said somewhere the animations (or maybe just some of them) are actually by the programmer and not an animator at the moment! I'm sure they've got a long way to go but it looks stylish and fun even when it's a bit rough around the edges. The hair probably needs to be animated by some kind of cloth physics (or just animated at all in some cases) but I don't really know anything about 3d!

Unrelated:
Completed Chip n Dales Rescue Rangers on my new (old) NES today!  Awesome game.   :y:

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #2521 on: July 25, 2012, 11:47:32 pm
Count me as optimistic about Cloudbuilt.

Also, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers truly is an awesome game. A friend and I play it every once in a while. Always better with two. I have a lot of respect for that game. The NES game I'm working on now is actually sorta similar. (Co-op, grabbing/throwing mechanics) There's a reason a lot of NES games didn't do this stuff. It's difficult to make happen.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2522 on: July 26, 2012, 12:07:13 am
Doesn't Pixelation bump a thread up as if a new post was made if the last post in a thread is edited? Or is that only for edits to the original post?

Also, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers truly is an awesome game. A friend and I play it every once in a while. Always better with two. I have a lot of respect for that game. The NES game I'm working on now is actually sorta similar. (Co-op, grabbing/throwing mechanics) There's a reason a lot of NES games didn't do this stuff. It's difficult to make happen.

Indeed it was, definitely one of the greater co-op NES games out there.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:10:11 am by Dusty »

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #2523 on: July 26, 2012, 12:32:18 am

Also, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers truly is an awesome game. A friend and I play it every once in a while. Always better with two. I have a lot of respect for that game.

Yeah it's a really nice game. I played it with my girlfriend (though she was only involved in the first few stages, and then on my continue in Stage J  :lol:)

I want the sequel too, but I'm not sure if it was ever released in PAL regions.

The NES game I'm working on now is actually sorta similar. (Co-op, grabbing/throwing mechanics) There's a reason a lot of NES games didn't do this stuff. It's difficult to make happen.

Wow, that's awesome! (Maybe I will get that NES flash cart after all....) 

Is development difficult on the NES?  I made a bit of a game for the Atari 2600 once, and it was super fun figuring it out, but doing anything good or remotely complete on it is way beyond me. 

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #2524 on: July 26, 2012, 01:07:38 am
@Seiseki: Not a fan about making my thread into a thread about all of my pony stuff (since as in the case of the scootaloo pixel, I eventually just split it off into it's own thread to keep responses and C+C clean with what I currently wanted C+C on) but a pony "doodles" thread would be awesome considering there's at least a few bronies here :)

... On another note, did I ever tell you kiddies about the time when Mike, after being banned here after the incidents regarding my scootaloo thread, pretended to be me on /MLP/ and /b/ right afterwords and posted a screencap of the scoots thread dozens of times along with derogatory (to say it gently) accusations about me?  Sometimes I enjoy the responsibilities of being a board janitor and cleaning up the crap ;D

... But you didn't hear that from me   ::)

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #2525 on: July 26, 2012, 01:40:49 am
Is development difficult on the NES?
Short answer: If you don't scroll, and don't handle slopes, it's actually only a little more difficult than C. You have to spend a little more time planning before doing your level format/etc. because of RAM and size constraints, but I've always found both to be extremely manageable. You also have to be prepared to learn some things about hardware you wouldn't need to know for anything modern. But really it's only hard if you want to make a very ambitious game. First game I made (which didn't scroll or handle slopes :P) was a clone of Geometry Wars and I think it only took about 4 months. (Starting from zero assembly or NES knowledge. I did know C beforehand.)

Longer answer:
The big problem about NES is that it doesn't have a fast processor. And my game is super ambitious for its CPU. Maybe that's my beef with PC games that are made as retro NES games. The graphical restrictions have always been easier to follow than writing/designing a game that can be optimized enough to not run at < 60 FPS. I've actually considered dropping co-op just so I don't have to worry about my game dropping frames.

Multidirectional scrolling (meaning I can scroll both up/down and left/right in the game frame) has been the hardest part so far in my own project. You'll notice a lot of games (Metroid/Megaman/lots of stuff) tend to do just one axis at a time. And even doing that is pretty difficult. The Level Hubs of Kirby's Adventure (with the doors to enter each level) multidirectional scroll, but as far as I can recall the actual levels never do. Super Mario Bros 3. does it, as does MC kids. My scrolling is about as optimized as I can make it, and in the worst case it alone can actually take about half to 1/3 of the available frame time. (But generally it hangs closer to 1/10 or 1/5).

Handling arbitrary slopes (think Sonic) has been the second hardest part. The main reason is, it has to be super optimized, especially if you want two players on screen. It takes a lot more time to check if a point is in a slope than if it's just in a tile. But there's even more to it than just each point taking more time. You also have to check more points. If your character doesn't move faster than your tile size and you don't support slopes, you can instantly eject a character from a wall in a given direction with just one point. (If the size is a power of two, you can AND the position with the tile size, and subtract that +1 to eject instantly, or AND the position with the tile size XOR that result with the tile size and add that +1 to eject instantly depending on the direction.) With slopes, you basically always have to check two. The character could fall less than your tile size, but still pass through a slope. You eject from the floor tile of the destination point. And then you have to check the point after that ejection to make sure you don't have to eject up FURTHER.

But most problems you face are problems you'd face in any game.

Hopefully that wasn't too specific/technical.

Ashbad: Sorry to hear about that. I still remember those posts by Mike and they just weren't okay.
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2526 on: July 26, 2012, 03:34:50 am
... On another note, did I ever tell you kiddies about the time when Mike, after being banned here after the incidents regarding my scootaloo thread, pretended to be me on /MLP/ and /b/ right afterwords and posted a screencap of the scoots thread dozens of times along with derogatory (to say it gently) accusations about me?  Sometimes I enjoy the responsibilities of being a board janitor and cleaning up the crap ;D

Wow, what a douche..
I actually wasn't sure if he was really mean or just a huge fan of irony and a dislike for bronies.. Had no idea he was crazy like that..

Offline Ashbad

• View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #2527 on: July 26, 2012, 12:23:27 pm
@Kasumi, being familiar with NES development myself, I must say that you are indeed correct, it's rather painful to work with :P I mean, even my TI-84+ was easier to work with -- a more "modern" 8bit processor (if you can call a z80 running at [6|15]MHz that -- still, beats a 6502 running at ~1MHz).  Even more painful to work with: Atari 2600  :ouch: still running on a 6502 but only 128 bytes of RAM and normally the top 64 bytes of that is used as stack space.  Plus, graphical drawing is a pain with all the sprite/scan registers.

Good luck on the NES development, and have fun with it!

Wow, what a douche..
I actually wasn't sure if he was really mean or just a huge fan of irony and a dislike for bronies.. Had no idea he was crazy like that..

I'm afraid he was :( oh well, I pruned his threads off in a matter of minutes after he posted them, so no harm done I would say.  Still, didn't sit well with me overall, I've had similar things happen to me at least a dozen times now, all because I publically post my pony related things on the internet.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2528 on: July 26, 2012, 12:32:15 pm
Well, here is banned for a year. He has made a new account (Yes, Mike, I know you have and I know you are browsing here). And if he decides to continue to be a douche when his ban runs out, he will be banned again. But the fact that he is trolling you on several sites is pretty telling and pathetic.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ashbad

• View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #2529 on: July 26, 2012, 12:39:14 pm
Well, was trolling, not sure if he still is.  If he is, I don't really care, I've got "bigger and better trolls" trolling me right now, so if he wants to get me to rage he's gonna have to step up his game  :lol:  And even then, not sure I'd care.  That is, unless he starts hijacking my on-topic threads.  I am glad at least that you guys have zero patience for such notions here, it makes the whole place seem a lot more welcoming :) probably why I've decided to stay here and not move on.