AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1015051 times)

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #290 on: January 18, 2009, 06:24:36 am
That's quite impressive Ptoing. Going for the second loop? ::) Also: joystick, gamepad, or keyboard?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #291 on: January 18, 2009, 07:20:43 am
I have seen the second loop with using savestates and it is not pretty. I can manage to play it up to level 3 or something like that if I have 2 or so lives left. That would get my score to something like 70+ mil tho. Getting to loop 2 wont be that hard with a bit more practise. Seeing as I only need 50mil points to get there, which is doable if I do not bomb up until the 4th boss, and very doable if I manage to not bomb at the 4th boss either. In theory I can kill all the first 5 bosses without bombing, meaning I have done it a few times on each boss. The 6th one is a total asshole tho and I have to bombspam him on some of his patterns. I am not a great DDP player by any measure :D

And gamepad, Sega Saturn one to be precise.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #292 on: January 18, 2009, 11:23:16 am
Congrats, man! That's amazing!

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #293 on: January 20, 2009, 07:13:45 am
http://www.devorahsperber.com/

I came across this working on an assignment for my sculpture class. Cool stuff.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #294 on: January 21, 2009, 02:36:13 am
so i just realized I have 'picture book syndrome' when it comes to reading forums.  Whenever I visit one on a subject on anything non-art related, I get frusted that they dont explain their ideas visually, and breeze over areas with important information simply because i'm not seeing a picture.  Like today I was searching for 3d vector mathematics help for programming, and I had to draw down what they were saying visually before I realized the importance of it.  Damn pixelation's visual critiquing awesomeness.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #295 on: January 23, 2009, 07:53:36 am
i want to make a 2d console rpg where the goal is, after realizing he is in a game, helping the main character transcend his reality.   :hehe:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #296 on: January 23, 2009, 08:58:19 pm
I like the idea, Rydin. In what way would you transcend his reality?

Kinda reminds me of Kidd Radd. I think I'll go read it again.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #297 on: January 24, 2009, 05:27:19 am
does he have free will or is he controlled by the player?  is his consciousness framed by the logic of our world and our perception of reality (as it must if he is properly our creation), or does it exist autonomously within an unknown set of parameters related to but unique from our own?  is his transcendence of his "reality" as you've put it driven by a search for identity or understanding, or is it just to make magic like Neo?  to what extent does he properly exist, and in what realities, and what makes his existence, electrical impulses stored within a greater network (at least to our eyes), greater, different, lesser, than our own?  do we have the ability to destroy him if he is without physical form, yet bound within a construct of our design which has a physical form?  is it possible to destroy or interact with consciousness which exists only in our perception of it?  to what extent and in which manners does the power over a consciousness change or otherwise define our own?  what is the difference between a consciousness perceived within a construct and a consciousness perceived within our "real" society, aside from the basic formal presentation?

these are the sort of questions you'll get bombarded with when you throw out "transcend reality" and I think any of them could be equally as fun, insightful, profound, trite, or disengaging as the next, so I'm just throwing out a platform for you.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #298 on: January 24, 2009, 05:26:11 pm
...and in the end the game character manages to convince the player that he's in fact the one whose actual real existence is in question, whose computer screen is a window to an actual, existing, ideal Platonic universe.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #299 on: January 24, 2009, 07:36:49 pm
Bleh, anyone seem to notice an influx of 'job' advertising via PM? At first it was flattering but now, and I mean no offense, it's getting kind of annoying. Isn't that what we have the job forums for?