AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1014995 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2430 on: July 08, 2012, 03:00:16 am
The thing is, the paradox is not flawed. You just clearly do not understand it. And you seem to not understand a lot of other things, judging by your videos.

But I see no point in conversing about this with you anymore really. I have tried before to make points to you which you ignored, same goes for the points Helm made.

If nothing else please consider the following things:
  • How many videos you have made since you started that account
  • How many of your books have you sold despite the number of views you had
  • How many (or few) replies you got to all the videolinks you spammed in this thread

Consider those and then reflect on that a bit.

This is the last thing I will add to this. You do not even have to reply to me. I wont. Just try and consider those things. Don't ignore feedback (or lack thereof) from other humans.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #2431 on: July 08, 2012, 03:18:23 am
It's about quantum wave functions and the fact that things like electrons can exist in more than one configuration at a time. I am not pretending to undertand Quantum Mechanics very well, but I am not gonna go and take some thought experiment apart which someone made who was very intelligent and knew alot about his field. A field btw which is progressing quite fast atm and which makes it possible to make very exact predictions about certain phenomena. And then there is stuff like superconductors and quantum locking. All this stuff I would posit NOT A SINGLE person on this forum really understands. To quote Richard Feynman: "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

Where do you learn about this stuff  :huh: 

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2432 on: July 08, 2012, 03:47:34 am
Alex:
No one likes a troll. How many people have told you that they fully understand what you are talking about, and think that the concepts that you are relaying to them are profound?  
It is very possible to misunderstand someone, but when no one has understood what you are saying ( or has understood and found it less than profound) there are really only two options:

1. Your concepts and your presentation of those concepts are half baked.
2. You are infinitely knowledgeable about the subjects, everyone else is completely mistaken, and your words are infallible.

It is obvious you believe the second, but I hope your own psycho-analysis skills can see how idiotic and primal it is. " I am right, everyone is wrong. No matter what".

While I do enjoy when this board gains activity, nearly spamming threads with your videos and prompting some of the biggest text walls on this forum ever is less than productive.

A lot of us have tried to be constructive and explain as explicitly and simply as possible the faults in these videos and your concepts, and you strike back with the same masked statements that are elaborate " I'm rubber and you're glue" remarks. I hope soon you will realize that the same ignorance and close-mindedness you claim we have is exactly what is shielding you from the truth.

I took the bait in giving this reply because I respected you as an artist, and as a person from what I knew of you ( the guide to pixel art book you had started a long while back was a great effort I thought, and knew it took a good natured person to put that time into helping others); now that respect is quickly fading away as you completely disregard reason and the people trying to honestly help you.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2433 on: July 08, 2012, 04:54:35 am
No one came into this with preconceived notions, at least the people who watched the videos first. They saw them, analyzed them, thought about them, then determined that they do not make sense/ the sense they do make is rudimentary and common knowledge. Both Helm and Ptoing have shared this position, and I do too.

If we had the resources to make everybody on the planet watch your videos, the only people that would claim to have any benefit from it would be the recreational drug users and perhaps a slightly dumb monk of one of the various eastern religions, where circularity is more common to them. Once all the other people disregard your findings, it becomes YOUR error in human to human communication, and NOT their reaction to your material. Although I guess then you would argue that the drug users and mentally challenged monks are the ones who really "get it".

"I'm not trying to change you, but the feeling that something may be wrong with your perception of things should be a clue to yourselves that their may be something wrong with how you interpret things.."

No one here is under the impression you are trying to "change" them. However, it seems nearly everybody that has watched your videos do believe that what you have been producing and posting on this forum as of late has been of little value, from a presentational, factional, and philosophical standpoint.

As a fellow artist and person, I sincerely hope that your need to shelter yourself from what people are saying and discard it will fade soon; and you will once again be able to produce work that will both be an outlet for you, and of benefit to your peers.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2434 on: July 08, 2012, 05:06:10 am
(quantum mechanics)

Where do you learn about this stuff  :huh: 

College, to start with.  I took a graduate level course in quantum mechanics.  I think I got a B, but it was a number of years ago, so I don't remember much of the content.  It was mostly a lot of higher math, and it was only an introductory course.

Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics) has links to some free course materials at MIT and Yale on the subject, and a link to a slew of free ebooks (textbooks, mostly).  I haven't looked at any of the stuff, but you'll need at least calculus, and more likely partial differential equations, to understand the material.

There are usually a few simpler books on the subject out there, things that focus on the implications rather than the math, but you'd have to accept the author's assertions about what the math or experiments say. 

I remember a book on simplified relativity that has examples like, 'if the speed of light was 20 mph and a man was pedaling a bicycle down the street...and then pedaled faster ...' and then went on to cover what the situation looked like to the man on the bike, to a person standing on the sidewalk, and so on, in order to explain the effects of time dilation and traveling near the speed of light.  I'm sure quantum mechanics has some similar books.

Tourist

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2435 on: July 08, 2012, 07:10:14 am
wow Alex. Yes. I had seen nothing of your vids here, but indeed you seem like you're about to reason your way out of sanity.

Sorry but making a monologue and exposing it on youtube is not the way, people have done it before. Ever heard of crossmack/ian crossland? he's been at it probably ever since YT started...he just seems to get more haters the more he does it.

I'm going to paraphrase something I read at Film Crit Hulk's review of Eat,Pray,Love which I feel strikes the point

"Seems like the kind of person who is so intelligent in that he can reason himself into any conclusion that fits his impulses. Smart people find that their reasoning can get them out of so many situations they end up justifying what they should be facing, they can intelectually justify their own arrogance to themselves."

You wanted a camera so you could go and film...something. I watched the video of your indiegogo and I still dont know what you meant.

You said you wanted a camcorder to keep your brain from melting? Make some videos that prove you deserve it first, something people will wish would've been filmed with a camcorder because the idea is SO GOOD but oh too bad that celphone camera just doesnt do it justice. You can also just grab footage and edit it like Zeitgest/esoteric agenda, not unheard of nowdays. When you make an amazing video without the tools, you have some proof that you really deserve a camcorder courtesy of the internet.

Next time you want to make a video, write down all the things you could possibly make a video out of as a list of questions. Out of those, pick one that you could possibly answer by interviewing someone you know, or a friend of a friend, or even better simply by going somewhere and filming a real life subject.

Now, Write the question in the form of a hypothesis that will be proven true or false trough whatever you plan to film, now is the time to narrow down the idea, possibly to just an aspect of the original idea so that it can be proven/disproven conclusively.

Accumulate as much information as you can about the subject, libraries, reliable internet sources, whatever. find out different lines of investigation, adress all of the subjects that inform the central question, so that you cover diferent angles and by the time you prove/disprove it the viewer has a reasonable amount of knowledge about it in their head.

Figure out the order in which you will present the information, what interview will lead into which footage, how you will slowly build up to the final moment where you come to a conclusion about the topic. You might find conflicting information in the actual filming but that is kind of the point, so keep it flexible. Now turn that into a plan of action, make all the appointments that you have to and make sure you get every shot.

Now go and do it, film the damn thing. Come away with a conclusion and edit the footage to reflect that new point of view.

-You will get actual interaction with people involved with subjects of your interest
-it'll make for a far more interesting video to see a point of view expressed with more than one voice
-you'll expand your view of the world just experiencing things you never have before.
-no matter how small the question is in comparisson to more ideal ones, you'll come away with a clear answer
-from personal experience, I can tell you this is more enlightning and it can lead to things that'll change your persepctive on life.

EDIT: http://www.ryanholiday.net/the-narrative-fallacy/ this seems relevant as well.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:26:41 am by Conceit »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2436 on: July 08, 2012, 07:22:06 am
seems like a way to do things.. I'll have to try it once I figure out which camcorder I'm getting. Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2437 on: July 08, 2012, 07:46:03 am
that's fine Ryumaru, if it's valueless then let it be. If I'm pure then I am me. Why does this make you want to stop me from being who I am?

Thank you for the straight reply, which seems to get to the heart of the issue. While I've strictly critiqued your work at it's surface value, some have gone further and implied that you are lacking in actual human contact, which may or may not be the case.
If we are at all trying to "change" who you are, it is because we( or, I might be speaking for myself here) have seen better conduct and output from you in the past, and through personal experience, we believe that there are better things to do with your life than work on poorly constructed videos, with flaws in the presentation and sometimes the logic behind it.

The danger with posting something like this online, especially on an art forum where critique is a primary aspect of it, is that we are going to give suggestions and opinions. The rate at which you post them here, and the defensive, non-answering replies you give to our critique will of course begin to aggravate.

I understand the position of letting you be. If you sincerely want that, I'd suggest only using these videos as an outlet, and not posting them publicly online, or use the critique and make more successful work that can further yourself and the people viewing it.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2438 on: July 08, 2012, 11:18:10 am
I think most of the offense came from your bouncing defense of your videos where you didn't address any of the points that were made ( again I can really only speak for myself and from the posts I read) and not videos themselves, of which we just generally didn't find useful- but we are not the lawmakers of what you decide to put on youtube.

None of us are here to stifle your creativity, certainly; but it is always a good idea to improve yourself and your work in whatever avenue you decide to take- I think conceit especially gave some great critique that you can use to do what interests you, and do it well.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2439 on: July 08, 2012, 12:19:14 pm
We are not lawmakers on youtube, but I am an administrator on Pixelation and it'd be best to ease up on all the video linking. I'm not saying none at all, but don't spam. And only in the offtopic thread unless they're tied to pixel critique for some member.