AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1001412 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #2060 on: June 12, 2011, 09:22:34 pm
Personally I don’t even consider acid (perhaps others in its family, haven’t tried them so I can’t say) a ‘drug’. Alcohol, pot -yeah, drugs. Things like that seem to add a layer, a cloud, a haze, on top of your regular mind state. For me, acid removes layers, leaves you laid bare as opposed to hovering around in your mind like the haze of, say, weed. When I smoke pot or drink alcohol, it’s for a different reason than I would use an entheogen. It’s to escape boredom usually, or sometimes to escape stress. It’s really sad to me when I see people treat something like LSD, which can have such a profound effect on an individual, like a ‘drug’ to ‘get fucked up’ on, to ‘feel good’, etc. It’s almost abuse, and that mindset denies one the possibility of the full experience of the journey, and I guess I'm like Conceit in that I treat these substances in a very respectful way, would never dare to group them in with the other 'drugs', or treat them if they were only a feelgoodchemical.

I’d like to emphasize a point Conceit made: ‘whenever I reject what the substance is doing to me’. I think that’s important to keep in mind- an attitude of complete submission and acceptance, resistance and rejection will deny the possibilities of the experience (either in a trip or without, really). “I make sure I surrender completely”- this is dead-on, exactly the mindset one needs to cultivate in this context, lest they miss the train.

This discussion prompted me to write about my experiences with LSD, so I might as well share if anyone’s interested. (be warned, it’s quite long, and at times might seem like I’ve really lost my marbles. Some parts might be completely incomprehensible to those unfamiliar with the experience.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:34:41 am by Cure »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2061 on: June 13, 2011, 12:13:48 am
Helm, you say you havent done "many" drugs? sounds like you have atleast cursory introduction...:p I think you know more than you let on.

no, I sincerely have minimal experiences with drugs, I do not participate in or appreciate drug culture. I offer no criticism towards people who find something constructive in drug taking, though.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 12:33:46 pm by Helm »

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Reply #2062 on: June 19, 2011, 12:25:28 am
My friend is a very talented composer. He just wrote a piano album and has done some work for DS and XBLA games.
He's considering quitting music. Show him THE love.

Visit his soundcloud and maybe contact him to compose music for a very very very promising game you're probably making.
http://soundcloud.com/zack-parrish/

Offline Tsugumo

• View Profile
    • Bulletproof Outlaws

Reply #2063 on: June 22, 2011, 09:21:37 pm
But that's besides the point. Anyone remember Skullgirls? Alex Ahad posted here a few years ago about it, and now he's assembled quite a team of buddies to help him with the animations, and I can't wait to look at them up close and personal, because the videos they show of them are absolute diabetic eyecandy to look at

Skullgirls is gorgeous!  Didn't know the guy popped up on here before, that's awesome.  I found a few behind-the-scenes clips on GameTrailers that show some artsy/design stuff...the hand-drawn sprites look a lot slicker than the pixel art ones he had and I like that they're pushing tech with the palette swapping layers, I don't think anyone has done that yet.

heh

Still alive, eh?  I'll send more ninjas.

Honestly I feel more and more the reason we stick with pixelart comes down to nostalgia...if it isnt expanded to things like ascii or modular art, vectors and whatnot it seems like there's no more appeal in it...I havent been thinking "pixel-perfect" for a while anyway, so maybe I'm not one to talk :p

For the mobile market, with all the different screen sizes and stuff, I'm finding working with large hand-drawn art that I can just shrink down is really versatile for planning to port to various devices.  With pixel art you have to scale up 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. which can take a lot more juggling around to fit everything.  I love pixel art visually, and I like the limits because they force you to think "what's the most efficient way to depict this?" but aside from doing some League of Evil pixel art down the road for a friend I don't know if I'll be doing any pixel art games...at least on iDevices.

I'm finding a lot of the stuff I learned through doing pixel art helps my hand-drawn stuff.  I do the same blobby/sketchy rough animation stuff I did for pixel sprites and I'll separate parts of the sprite like the head and copy/paste it to new frames to use again or tweak slightly to keep things consistent.  I also find it easier for me, personally, to scribble out an animation really small (not cleaned up or anything), then scale it way up and retrace it hand-drawn.

Welcome Tsugumo! glad you're getting down to busyness and releasing your own games and stuff...this is Camus BTW :p. You should put back up that little priest sprite you used to have way back when, it's so iconic to me =).

haha hey man!  I think I still have that sprite somewhere...I was actually planning to use him in a future game.  Part of starting my own stuff up is that I can finally use oldschool characters I used to doodle and put them into a game.  I've got a hand-drawn revamp of Kyodai from TheGame that I'm dying to make some kind of action game with.  Right now I have to market the crap out of Elusive Ninja though, I didn't have my laptop or a decent internet connection while I was at E3 so I'm playing catch-up on the marketing.  It's a ton of work to do solo, so I'm working pretty much 24/7, but it's worth it.  :D

You guys remember the first time we considered pixelation having a banner? :p I submitted this..heheh I was pretty crazy about those two sprites =)...looks kinda passive agressive in retrospective but I didnt mean that XD

haha awesome.

- Tsugumo

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #2064 on: June 23, 2011, 12:40:40 am
...And I'm the guy that drunkenly confessed his love for you at GGJ! Game looks great by the way!

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2065 on: June 23, 2011, 08:08:41 am
Drugs!

That's about all I've got on the subject, I've never done anything beyond marijuana mainly because it's hard to find anything else in New Zealand.
But let me talk about my marijuana setup, I've got a shed in the back yard with two couches on each side and a nice little coffee table in the middle, Star Wars poster with every character, common sea birds poster, common insects poster, common fish poster (my friend has a whole bunch of these common X posters for some reason) all held up with magnets. There's about 30 candles, all different colours and we like to pour the wax into a jar of water and see what shape it sets as.
I don't think you can have any major epiphanies on weed, but my friends and I have definitely had good times in there.

In other news, here's what I made today:

For the opening cutscene of Fetch Quest, I need to draw the rest of the boat for the background now.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #2066 on: June 24, 2011, 01:16:59 pm
New avatar, changed the canvas to 64x64 from 90x30 for a challenge at PixelJoint back in 2008 and added some hands and bamboo.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2067 on: June 24, 2011, 04:09:33 pm
Takam, that is quite nice looking, tho those eyes are totally rubbish if you ask me. They do not emote very well.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #2068 on: June 24, 2011, 10:08:18 pm
leroys words got me to make new ava too D:

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2069 on: June 25, 2011, 12:28:50 pm
Takam, that is quite nice looking, tho those eyes are totally rubbish if you ask me. They do not emote very well.
Thanks, the face is pretty much just a zoomed in copy of the in game sprite:

I tried putting white, and outlines around the eyes but I couldn't come up with anything I liked better, I guess his design is kinda like Bomberman or 1930's Mickey Mouse
Life without knowledge is death in disguise