AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1014878 times)

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1450 on: March 19, 2010, 10:48:11 pm
-
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:50:15 pm by alspal »

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #1451 on: March 19, 2010, 10:50:15 pm
Gameplay sounds good.  The other words do not.  Simple as that.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1452 on: March 19, 2010, 11:39:03 pm
No I am implying that you're reproducing canned points on the 'art games versus gameplay games' argument that's been going on on the internet for a while now most of which (from either side) do not stand up to serious inspection, and for what? Just to have an argument?
There is no art games vs gameplay games argument, a game is a game, you just should recognize that the gameplay is the most important part of it, without any interactivity, it does not make it a game, therefore it is the essential component to making it a video game. Not to imply graphics, sounds/music, story are all important, but without gameplay, its just a movie, not to say story cannot DRIVE the game but ultimately without interactivity it isn't a game.

statements like this 'games are what I say whether you believe it or not' are my problem with this debate. Gameplay is a nebulous term, I'm not sure what it is, I'm not sure what you think it is. Interactive systems predate games, and games are informed by interactive structures quite outside of the concept of 'fun' which is also highly subjective. I played a text adventure a long time ago named 'A Mind Forever Voyaging'. My reflexes were not challenged. There weren't many clever puzzles. I did not have fun. But it was a deeply impactful and sometimes shocking experience and I remember this game 10 years later. I don't remember very many Treasure games as fondly although they were fun to play.
You had interactivity with the story, you could change things or perhaps, attempt to meet the demands of your goal, either way without interactivity you would have just been reading a book. Also, as for you implying 'games are what I say whether you believe it or not', this is my interpretation of what a game is, I shouldn't have to state its my interpretation at all, we're not arguing whether the sky is blue or not, its much more complex and varies from person to person. Thinking about this, you seem to act as if I'm an ignorant individual for my own views, as if I've completely dismissed this game to the side, where I was just saying I was skeptical and didn't look like much going on, obviously I sounded more hostile so I apologize for that.

A potent piece of art is more than the sum of its parts. This approach to prioritizing 'content' in game design belongs to AAA studios working for the man.
I'm not saying ADD EXTRA GUNS = MAKES IT BETTER, no I mean, good core gameplay elements, which by the way the general gaming community prefers, seems like most of the community feels the best games have not only the best story/graphics/among other things but ultimately, their simplicity in all those things with gameplay coming first, i.e. Megaman 2, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Contra, Pac-Man, Tetris, Super Metroid. But obviously, whatever it may be, the story and gameplay can go hand in hand but its not a game without gameplay (i.e. interactivity, being able to change certain elements within a limited amount of options), as stated many times previously.

As for the whole 'gameplay' thing, obviously it is a vague term but I just do it to save time, like anybody doesn't get what I mean. Its like people who say 'shading', all shadows are is the absence of light, so its impossible to 'shade' anything, just lighting/rendering, but obviously you still GET what the person is saying when he says 'shading', so I don't see the problem.

PS - I seem to be repeating a lot of statements, sorry about this, I'm a bit tired.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #1453 on: March 20, 2010, 12:04:58 am
I dunno, as far as the whole "what does gameplay actually mean" discussion, I find I can usually substitute most uses of "gameplay" with "game mechanics" and it makes a lot more sense. Just my two cents. - o -
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #1454 on: March 20, 2010, 12:12:29 am
Look my point is is that they're basically leading to the same or similar definition, so it shouldn't really matter.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1455 on: March 20, 2010, 12:24:06 am
I won't argue the point anymore, just a final sideways question.

I'm not saying ADD EXTRA GUNS = MAKES IT BETTER, no I mean, good core gameplay elements, which by the way the general gaming community prefers, seems like most of the community feels the best games have not only the best story/graphics/among other things but ultimately, their simplicity in all those things with gameplay coming first, i.e. Megaman 2, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Contra, Pac-Man, Tetris, Super Metroid.

Which is this community that says this and what does it mean that they say it?

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #1456 on: March 20, 2010, 12:44:39 am
Things that are well received generally tends to mean that they're successful in completing their goals, I'm pretty sure all those games were fairly successful. I can't really point to one specific community, if you read any gaming magazines, or talk to gamers in general, it seems they'll tend to like those games.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1457 on: March 20, 2010, 01:32:14 am
counterpoint: if some piece of art you perused held a significance for you then it is fairly successful. Groupthink unneeded.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #1458 on: March 20, 2010, 01:40:23 am
Perhaps, but if I make a car that is poorly made and can only go ten miles per hour I may consider this successful but its definitely not going to be well received by others, who the hell would buy it? I know you're arguing for artistic freedom, which is understandable, people need that but like with everything else, you can make a game better structured and more appealing, not implying experimentation is bad but with that it either works or it doesn't, also not implying that this iPhone game suffers from not being well structured, it seems alright, but the output I'm getting just doesn't seem like my cup of tea.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1459 on: March 20, 2010, 01:48:57 am
the ipod game aside, game design isn't 'it either works or it doesn't'; it is 'it works to what end for what end user'.