AuthorTopic: tocky mockathon: round three  (Read 11609 times)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: tocky mockathon: round two

Reply #20 on: October 14, 2008, 10:34:22 am
well to do it propperly, you'd have to create a whole set of new tiles to cover that. so lets say, now you use a grass tile to do the fields and the edge of the cliff. you need one to do the fields, and another one to do the edge of the fields
like in advance wars. if I can I'll mockit up for you
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 06:37:50 pm
Darn, Kazayu beat me to it. I'll probably go ahead and do it anyway to see if we coincide. We'll see what I can come up with.

Or not maybe. In the edit I've made, (trying to make it myself understandable) I've broken up the edges of the river like Kazuya said to. I think your moving in the right direction with that ledge piece there. But remember you need to cover all the sides and corners to make it readable. (Yes, I know your going to do that.) Also, that ledge of grass would only work in that situation. It needs to be moved closer to the edge a bit. Also, with the rock edges, they need to be broken up as well. I was going to show something else but I wasn't sure of (if any) your restrictions on the piece.

Oh, your colors confused me a bit. I thought that the foreground was supposed to be lighter then the background right? And, that taller things were more brighter up at the, uh, top. I also think you need to change the water color. I couldn't tell what was water and what was holding places. (Other then what was obvious that is.) Oh yeah, with the cliff edges. Those, sides appear to be jutting out seperatlely away from the cliff edge. Like they're pillars. Try using some of the same brown colors of your house there. I was going to say a few more things, like about the cliff side bottom color and texturing the grass tile some. But I think I'll let others say it.

Also, this looks a bit like the GBA style. You might get some extra help looking at the Fire Emblem and The Sacred Stones tile set.

(Your probably wondering what business I have trying to help You in this area. Well, the thing is, I like doing map pieces. Give me a map editor and I'll make a bunch of maps. I may even try to edit some and make my own tiles as well. So, I know a few things about game maps and wanted to see if I could help you out any.)

(I probably should've waited for Kazuya's edit though. To me, I seem a bit harsh and could probably give myself that advice. Sorry if I offend you though, great, now I feel like a stuck up and idiot.) :(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:14:15 am by xhunterko »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 04:48:08 am
Hunter: don't worry about whether you have any business trying to help people - you do.

I'll answer the rest of your post in a while. But yeah, It matters more whether the things you're saying are useful (they are) than whether you're some kind of pixel god (nobody is, really).

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 08:04:58 pm
current:

I don't want to just push out the river edge and then feather it, for a couple reasons. I want to make it clear that the overhanging edges aren't walkable, and I don't want to make up a separate set of tiles for where the underwater stuff and bridges collide with the grass edges. It's really not a bad idea, but it creates some problems that I don't want to deal with.

The water is gray just so to see if I could do it not blue. There's not much more to it than that, I just wanted to see if I can make it work.

The rock edges are flat just so that they could be reused to work next to other stuff than water... It's more for the sake of using fewer tiles, than anything.

I'm using some (invented) restrictions. It's not really to suit any hardware, it's just restriction for restriction's sake:
-tileset uses less that sixteen colours
-four colours per tile
-three colours plus transparency for sprites

I'm also doing some stuff just to see if I can get away with it, like all the tile flipping and the grey water and giving everything a face. Everything should have a face.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:23:42 pm by tocky »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 08:51:44 pm
well here's my edit. what I did was add sort of an edge to the grass there. and then if you wanna go further, wich you should, add some new tiles for the corners. based on the old ones allready made.

the idea is that it doesn add that much noise to your tiles, but it ads information like "this is an edge" and thats helpfull for the player cause it has readability.

if you add thoses big bushes on the side, I'm gettin the feeling I can walk there, if I fall or not, the colision will take care of that, but if I think I can go there, or if I see that like a walkable area, thats the graphics talking.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:53:56 pm by Kazuya Mochu »
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 08:54:02 pm
I like your stuff tocky, very cool style.

Wish I could find the motivation to churn out art that fast.

The lack of any shadows at all bothers me. Just a simple light shadow would work, like around the building, cliff and under the people.

*EDIT* I liked tockys grass tuffs better, Kazuya Mochu.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 02:35:45 am
About the edge tiles walkable issue. I'm not sure what your using to program, but, most languages allow for you to define what is and what isn't with a few lines of code. I think what Kazayu also demonstrates is,you don't need to compromise edges of the river like you think you have to.  If you do it right, you can have an edge like that. Just make the edge of grass, the actual edge. And the water tile the non-walkable part. Take a look at games like Star Tropics, Red Alert 1, and maybe the RPG Maker tile sets.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 03:37:46 pm
something new:

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog