AuthorTopic: Main Character Fin?: Variations  (Read 16193 times)

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

Re: UPDATED 5: Main Character help

Reply #20 on: October 24, 2008, 07:48:59 pm
Frst don' work on a white background. use a ligher grey if you're feeling lazy or pick a color that isn't going to clash too much with the colors that you're using
You're realy using way more colors than you need to. your darkest blue is pretty much indistinguishable from black. so i went ahead and changed it to black t reduce the color count.
Also, i'm not terribly fond of the color choice, either. it's too saturated
So i chaged the blues to a more greenish hue, and reduced the saturation a good bit. also i had no idea what was going on with the eyes. are those goggles or what?

At this size you really dont' need more than a couple of hues for shading, any more are likely to get lost in the mix.
 The torso area is a bit too noisy, and not very readable. it wouldn't hurt to simplify it a bit.

Also i'm assuming he's a stealth character so, while it's fine to not use a black ouline, it doesn't make much sense for his gloves and boots to be so...bright. youcan use black as more than just an outline color - in fact, black is ridiculously useful, since your eyes will naturally add details that aren't actually there and give the illusion that there's more going on than there really is

Also i'm sorry if this comes off as harsh, i don't mean it that way.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: UPDATED 5: Main Character help

Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 04:59:14 pm
Your not actually, (check the responses to some of my first posts in the off topic creativity thread and you'll see why).

I actually like your color change. But, I think if I use too few colors it'll look a bit flat. Everyone seems confused about the eyes. I don't know why. If graphics gale had some sort of transparency thing, it'd be easier to do. (I'm not that good with visors.) Yeah, I'm going to change the torso a bit and probably shorten the sprite a little. And again at anarchoelk, I like what you've done with the face. He's supposed to be a younger character anyway and I always thought my face size made him look, old.

I've just now got around to posting here. It's been busy week and I've been sick a lot. So, now that I'm  feeling better I might get some more pixeling done.

Oh, and thanks for the edit, I appreciate it. (It's actually nice to know that I'm going in the right direction for once.)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: UPDATED 6: Main Character help

Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 06:53:57 pm
Modified

Okaay, first things first. Changed the colors around a bit. I liked corsair's colors so much that I found something similar and used that. Also, since many people were confused about the eyes, went ahead and gave him a yellow visor. I changed his size and made him shorter. (Since it's closer to the original and looks a bit better.) Took out some of the things going on in the torso. (I think.) I also did a color change on the hands and feet, using the old palette for that. Oh yes, finally gave him a black outline as well.

1. What I'm still concerned with is these points.

2. I think I have the anatomy correct now. But I'm a bit worried about the head size and the arm on the left. Or am I just nitpicking and there's nothing to worry about?

3. Also, I'm not that good with visors and the like. 2 colors just don't seem rite to me. Any tips on those?

4. I changed the palette on the gloves and boots to have them match the rest of the sprite. Did I pick the right colors here?

(I know you all have other projects and stuff on your mind. And there's other people that are asking for help. But please don't stop posting. I like to know if I've had some improvement.)

(Other projects, as in, the Isocollaboration. Cough, cough.)
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6247.msg84440#msg84440
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:43:43 pm by xhunterko »

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 06:35:05 am
The update looks much better than what you had before, and I have to say you're progressing very well.

The first thing that pops into my head when I look at this, is that while it's not pillow shaded, you didn't really flesh out your forms at all, so it looks more like some sheets of colored paper than a black ops dude. When you're making a sprite you need to dive into depth to really make your sprite look like something that can kill the bad guys.

Note; I edited over Corsair's edit 'cause I was lazy and liked his color choices.

What I did in my edit was first fix up his posture and proportions; pulled his legs in slightly, and moved his arm one pixel in, then made both his arms a few pixels longer.

Next, I foreshortened his left (not our left) arm because I see him as facing slightly away from the viewer.

I then took out the highlights on his left leg and arm to make them appear further away.

After all that I went in and started to block in what I thought the armor should look like when he's inside, then refined it when I got most of the kinks out. You don't need too much anatomy knowledge to pull this off, just enough to know the basic proportions of a human, and the size and shape of different muscle groups. Of course, I'm not very good at anatomy at all, and see plenty of mistakes in my edit, so maybe someone with more experience should help you with this.

I removed his banana feet (in yours it looks like his toes curve up at the ends, like a banana).

Then I tried to make the visor look more like a visor and less like eyes. Usually a shiny visor at this size should only have one bright highlight, and some buffer shades around it except where the glass curves and goes under the helmet.

Tweaked the colors, and was done!

If you notice anything in my edit that I didn't mention, or didn't explain well enough please ask me about it; I'll try my best to answer what it is.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 07:52:18 am
I think I see what your saying bout the colors and form a bit. I wanted to avoid the "robot" look with the feet there. And also avoid having it look like an edit. I remember being told to use "negative" space somewhere and have him look like he's about to do something. Your's seems to just slump forward a bit and be in a almost shrug position. Taking a second glance, I kinda see what your trying to "fix". I'll take a look at the legs and arms and see about that proportion thingie. I'm tired now and not sure if this is a good response. Remind me later that I have a iso tile to edit.

Oh, and thank you for the edit and tips. But, lemme use a line here that you guys always seem to like to do. Never work directly off of someone's else edit. Your not going to help yourself or the other person learn very well by doing so. (small joke on my part, thanks for the improvement comments though. I find those encouraging.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:54:30 am by xhunterko »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 08:25:00 am
Never work directly off of someone's else edit. Your not going to help yourself or the other person learn very well by doing so.

You made that part up. :-\ It's often quite helpful to work off someone else's edit for another person if you think they took it in the right direction.

In any case, I'm working on an edit (based on Kcilc's edit, based on Corsair's.....)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 10:59:23 am
the main problem I see here is that I get the feeling that you dont know how to draw all that much, specially when it comes to anatomy and proportions.
I traced over the middle point of scaled up pixels to have sort of a silluete of both yours and Kcilc's edit. and the reason I think Kcilc's edit is so much better is based almost only in his proportions. he also uses color very cleverly to define even more anatomy to help with proportions (such as the chest area)
dont get me wrong I'm not bashing on you and praising Kcilc but you really should take a close look to his edit. theres proportions, theres a pose, theres great use of color.

Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 05:13:03 am
@tehwexxl0rz: No I'm not, I actually saw something like that posted on somebody else's thread. And I'm just joking there. Perhaps I shoulda put that 'I'm joking' in parentheses or something to make it more clear.

@Kaz: It really bothers me when people say I don't draw that much when I know I have at least 2-3 notebooks full of sketches and drawings in the cabinet. HOWEVER, most of those are largely terrain/map drawings. Not really that many character drawings. Which, is probably why I have trouble with this particular form. So you are probably right about that.

Otherwise. There are some things that bother me about kcilc's edit though. The first thing is mostly the longer legs. I want to get some run animation out of this and want it to not be that difficult. Maybe that's why I'm holding back or something. Another thing is about his arms. Using the old colors, I was afraid people wouldn't be able to see the arms at all. Looking at teh edits, it seems as if that's not a thing I need to worry about now. So that's a good thing, I hope.

One more thing. I like what you've done with the visor. I might use it. (If you don't mind.)

(And don't worry about thinking that I'm going to think your bashing me. I know help when I see it now. ;))

Again, thank you for the edits.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 06:45:52 pm
Never work directly off of someone's else edit. Your not going to help yourself or the other person learn very well by doing so.

You made that part up. :-\ It's often quite helpful to work off someone else's edit for another person if you think they took it in the right direction.

In any case, I'm working on an edit (based on Kcilc's edit, based on Corsair's.....)

That is indeed not at all helpfull. You don't learn a thing just working of someone's edit. You can try to change yours to look like it as close as possible,
but it's not gonna help a thing if you just take someone else's edit.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 07:49:37 pm

That is indeed not at all helpfull. You don't learn a thing just working of someone's edit. You can try to change yours to look like it as close as possible,
but it's not gonna help a thing if you just take someone else's edit.

You misunderstand completely! I'll clarify: It's often quite helpful for a critiquer to work off another critiquer's edit as a teaching tool for the original artist if the second critiquer thinks the first critiquer took it in the right direction.

That's why I called out xhunterko on critiquing Kcilc's teaching methods.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:56:05 pm by tehwexxl0rz »