AuthorTopic: [WIP - 9.23.08] Pyramid  (Read 15468 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP - 9.23.08] Pyramid

Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 07:09:22 am
I dont think helms perspective is correct at all. The lines on the sides are parralel to the line on the edge. It would work a block that is sheared but not a pyramid. (or it would work for a triangle extrapolated back but not a pyramid).
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 02:00:28 pm
Helm's perspective actually would work, as you go down the pyramid the number of bricks on the side increase. notice how each layer is a little bit smaller than the one below it. So if you built the whole thing this way it would work and the perspective would be automatically correct. The only difference is that he's building the pyramid using "real" blocks instead of just texturing flat planes.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 02:59:01 pm
Both the original pyramid and dusty's one are not in proper perspective. They are game art that is ment to be using tilesets to simulate an object with a slightly believable height. If you want to draw a realistic pyramid, use vanishing points. If you want to draw game art, find a median between reality and applicability in game art. I believe the zelda sideways lines on the blocks are at a very odd angle and I indeed would suggest 45 degrees. It's a matter of artistic sensibility, not reality.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 10:23:03 pm
I think why i think zelda perspective is okay is because I am assuming we are building a pyramid with smooth sides - like how they were built
new. You guys are looking at a old pyramid, after those finishing stones have removed. Zelda looks fine to me assuming its a smooth pyramid. I think helms would only work for a stepwise pyramid.

edit: whatever perspective you go for dusty, think about making the bricks lighter as you go higher.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 10:25:09 pm by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 12:20:38 am
I really can't understand that graph you posted.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 12:29:37 am
You are using square bricks. Like the mayan temple.

The Zelda pyramid looks okay in my mind if they are using sloped bricks. Like a new Egyptian pyramid.

The diagram just shows that if you use Helms edit but connect the same point on each brick (like if you made sloped bricks) then it conforms
to the Zelda perspective. 

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 01:19:58 am

Actually, no, I think you contradict yourself with this graph. Sharprm, both your edit, and the Zelda pyramid, really have no solid structure, or follow a basic structure of a pyramid. In fact, the way you've laid them out makes it seem as if they are just streched, computer skin textures, rather than following proper perspective. Kinda' unnatural if you ask me. Also, Look at your "yellow" angle line you've drawn to compare the brick's direction, as they go up: Helm's is the basic kind where the bricks being laid will eventually lessen in numbers, causing a tip in the center, as each brick's vertical side is nearly identical in angle, where as the bricks in your edit interrupt/cross the main edge of where the pyramids large combined sides meet. If we were to look at the structure of your pyramid from birds eye, the top portion would probably NOT be centered in the middle of the square(which is kinda' what Egyptians were shooting for..), but rather a slanted pyramid where one face is larger than the other, causing the point at the top to be off-center. It's not hard to follow, really.
   I think what's being said here is Zelda's pyramid is just there for the sake of being "pretty" detailed art, but poor structure.(kinda' like a reality check for fighting games where for some reason, big boobed, half naked women are not harmed by giant axes, and swords, even though they have little to no armor...just there for the sake of being pretty really, but come out a macho humorous satire of an actual warriors body, in the end)
   If the artist here truly wishes to follow just the pretty details of the said Zelda game, rather than basic building blocks of an actual Pyramid that give it DEPTH, than I think Dusty should be a bit more specific with where he wants critique on his initial post. Otherwise, it tends to confuse people...

...or it could just be me, I don't know.
my back hurts...

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 01:42:58 am

I only contradicted myself when i said "whatever perspective you choose" - they are the SAME perspective. The only way to stelle this is with 3ds max and i can't be arsed.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 02:33:48 am
Well, thanks for the discussion everyone... In the end though I can only choose a couple of perspectives -- Helm's or my current one.

Any other perspectives will have awkward angles that probably won't be able to be fixed without a ton of manual work. I'm having a little bit of a hard time trying to work out what Helm has done(in execution... I know what he did, I'm just having a hard time actually doing it right), but when I do figure it out I'll be sure to post it.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 02:36:26 am

Industrious little japanese fellas that worked on Zelda >> Helm. Accept it.