AuthorTopic: [WIP] Arceus the Lord (updated)  (Read 10928 times)

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Arceus the Lord (updated)

Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 11:04:31 am
Gold is a shiny metal; a gold pallette should have a fair deal of contrast.  Look at some pictures( say, here or here.

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 01:03:34 pm
I'm really like what you've done with the fur around the neck :y: But overall, this piece just isn't improving that much...

Sloppy NPA edit:

*It looks really flat, you really need to define the volume of the creature a bit more. Remember this is a creature with a solid body, it (presumably) has muscles and bones etc... I think one problem could be your reference image of the deer...look at some actual photos of deer and other similar animals. Better yet, go to a zoo and take a good look at some deer and do some sketches!

*Ditch the background for now. Focus on the creature. Also it is best to work on a more neutral background colour. Your current background is better than what you had before, though.

*Where is your lightsource? Things seem to be lit from all different angles. For example look at the front left foot, it seems to be lit from the bottom...

*The size of your image is huuuge, I know, for whatever reason you've decided to make it this particular size, but in pixelart something like this is massive. It gets really hard to work on something at this scale. It's kind of unreasonable to suggest you restart this again at a smaller size, so this is really more advice for the future than critique for this specific piece...

*I think there still needs to be greater contrast. At the moment it seems a bit washed out. Maybe not as much contrast as in my piece, but I think it still needs a fair bit more. Also pay attention to the gold texture, and make sure you study Redshrike's images.

*Also, there seems to be a bit of banding happening in the 'gold' sections.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 03:02:49 pm
Thanks man, this is really helpful. I will be making this for awhile man. The reason why it's so big, I started with the face, and got carried away. But I need to do something crazy so what better than Arceus. I thought I had the light source all squared away, in that it was coming from the left hand side of him, but I can see on your edit how it should be. I guess I will be painting over his fur yet again.

Just one thing to clear up, what do you mean by banding?

OK here's a quick paint over. I tried to follow your model. Changed the pallete, though the color change is not complete, the new pallet will have 18 colors. (17+1)

Started details on the face, and also combined some of the colors for the golden arch on his back.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:11:24 am by Corinthian Baby »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 03:26:54 am
Here is an update I cleaned up his little face and coloured his neck for the most part:

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:30:07 pm by Corinthian Baby »

Offline Raytheon

• bepp bepp
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 06:55:39 am
dont constrict yourself to those lines make bits of fur stick out in places
i am a computern

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 10:44:29 pm
No doubt man:

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 08:34:12 am
update:

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 10:22:10 am
All the fur sticking up on its back make it seem a lot less sleek and elegant and more wild/dirty.

Also I think the fur would look more fur-like if you broke up the long lines a bit. The contrast between the streaks of fur looks sort of odd....

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 01:26:29 am
I digg man. I'm gettin closer to finishing the figure. I feel something is off a bit so hit me with your best crits:

Started a sketch of the bg:

bg wip:

with creature:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:11:43 am by Corinthian Baby »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 10:00:17 pm
Anything to change before I submit?