AuthorTopic: [WIP] (Nudity) Female character base slightly elevated view (not 3/4 anymore)  (Read 28070 times)

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] (Nudity) Female character base 3/4 top down view

Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 10:50:39 am
Adjusted on Cure's advice [ I hope the change I did improved it] and also moved the shoulders down by a pixel. I also wonder if it's better to remove the highlights. Added the nipples, though I think it should be placed by a pixel down. And I though it's not really that important since you'll put clothes on her   

made some changes based on helms highlight edits. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:18:36 pm by Froli »

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 11:33:49 am
It's quite nice.

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 01:17:04 pm
Wow, guys and girls, you're going way over my skill level there.  :P One question though, why do you all don't draw the nipples?

The problem is, this is all for sprites for the Action RPG I'm programming, and it would take me, at my current skill level, too much time to draw in the style you are using. And it's a free and open source game so I can't hire any of you guys, I'm afraid. And I'll need about 30 to 50 frames of animation for each base, and also a male base, different hair styles and clothes, etc. So I guess I have to make do with "frumpy" programmer's art. :p

Anyway, here's my last edit, not shaded and shaded, of course, where' I'm trying to take in the essence of the improvements you guys have made.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:33:42 pm by Beoran »
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: September 13, 2008, 03:19:40 pm

Edit  - Added the nipples, though I think it should be placed by a pixel down. And I though it's not really that important since you'll put clothes on her   

Building on the same edit, a few further notes:

I don't see why these sprites need to be completely mirrored. Just because convention has had them be like this? I disagree. Even at a small size like this, a bit of contraposto really I think gives it a lot of life.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 03:49:16 pm
I don't see why these sprites need to be completely mirrored. Just because convention has had them be like this? I disagree. Even at a small size like this, a bit of contraposto really I think gives it a lot of life.

I believe that's a matter of time and resources. If you need to design and animate a huge set of clothes for them, it'll be a lot more troublesome if they can't be mirrored as well.

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 04:58:13 pm
Helm, again a lovely edit, which is way beyond me. I do agree that assymmetry is more natural and beautiful, however, it's as JJ Naas says, I'm planning to do at least 5 costumes (times 30 for all animation frames), so symmetry does make things a lot easier for me there. I'm not planning a small game but more like a 4 year project, I think. ^_^;

As for the nipples, I care about general anatomical correctness, because I plan to have some optional nude scenes in my game. Not that I want to include fan service, it's just something I don't want to exclude as a possibility. So call me European. ^_^

Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 05:47:34 pm
If I'm going to be staring at these people's sprites for a huge rpg, I think it's an invaluable tradeoff to spend more time with the clothes not being mirrored etc. For -me at least- to get to the meat and potatoes gameplay first the game has to charm me. Graphics with character charm me, utilitarian 'programmer art' doesn't. If the gameplay you have in mind is groundbreaking then I guess I'd play it, but if it's an rpg sticking close to rpg conventions, then you need every help you can get for your audience to spend time with it.

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 09:44:38 pm
Well, Helm, I can see your point, and largely, I can agree with it. I think that you are right that for mass appeal, you need art with a certain charm. However, my point is mostly about strategy in planning this project.

If I was making a commercial game, I certainly would hire an artist. But that's not the case. The game will be free and open source so I have to do it differently. Basically, I have three options:
First option would be to for me spend a few more years on developing my art skills to comparable levels as yours, probably making my game a six year project. I don't think it's unrealistic to say that I need two years to make it from my level to your level, and that's probably even too optimistic.
Second option is that I find artists who are willing to work for free on such a project from the beginning. My experience in the past has been that it is not so easy to find artists willing to do this, for understandable reasons.
Finally, I can go for the utilitarian art, focus on developing compelling game play in stead, and then hope that the game will attract artists, like you people, who will hopefully be willing to help me out with improving the art.

I think I will go for this final approach, as this will result in something that is playable that much sooner. Also, I plan to make the game different enough from usual conventions. Other famous open source games like Battle for Wesnoth took the same approach, I hope this is the most viable approach.

Of course, I'm open to all and any suggestions, here. :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 09:47:30 pm by Beoran »
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 10:02:11 pm
The third way will get results. If you make a lot of the game with utilitarian art and the game is good, it WILL attract artists and they will dress up the game for you. But I sincerely think you should go for the 'six year plan' personally, because the skills you learn yourself will stay with you forever. Besides the personal growth that will occur - and perhaps that should be priority 1 - to get to a high level as an artist, you will also not be dependent on other people. And a game made by a single person fully is probably going to be better than a game made by one coder and 12 artists doing a few pieces for free each. Preserve your vision, work on your art, get there on your own. That's my suggestion. However this is a bit premature. What you have right now and the edit I did of the edit by Froli on Ryona's edit is indeed a bit far away. And that might not be helping you. But you're an awesome guy and you've helped people with their coding here out of pure goodness so - besides the cookies - what I want to do for you is this: I want you to tell me what intermediate critique you need from where you are right now to where the most recent edit is, the 'middle step' so to speak in the ladder, and I will - hopefully other people to - help you get to the middle of the road and then you'll see the end result isn't as far away as it might seem now.

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 07:04:42 pm
Well, again, I think you have a very good point there. And I thank you for wanting to help me in this way. I think I will go the middle way, that is, start out with utilitarian art, but then improve it gradually myself as I go, or perhaps with help of others if they meet my vision.

Just by hanging around in this forum, reading the advice, and looking at what others are doing, I've been improving my art skills slowly. I'm sure that they will develop more over time, although I do plan to give developing the game play itself priority.

As for how you could help me, well, as you see, I'm starting with the essentials. In conventional art lessoons, one usually begins with learning how to draw and use lines before one goes on to paint and shading. I feel it's the same for pixel art. so to start, I want to get the shape and lines right, and make it to a "Phantasy Star 4" level of artwork, before I go on to the next level.

That's why I'm not shading too much yet, nor worrying too much about what colors to use. Greatly enhanced edits like Ryona's are nice to see, and I can learn a few things from them. But I feel that I can learn more from improvements to the shape and lines like those of Lotekk. Like that, I can take it one step at the time. If you look from where I started in this thread to where I am now, you can see I've already progressed somewhat, and no doubt, with the help of all of you I will continue to improve. So, thanks to all of you. :)
Kind Regards, Beoran.