AuthorTopic: First Iso Piece  (Read 5911 times)

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

First Iso Piece

on: September 08, 2008, 01:03:41 am
This is my first Isometric work, and it's probably got tons of perspective errors, but I want to make it better.

I think that with improvements it could end well and I think it's decent for my first foray into Iso.

CnC Welcome  ;D
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"

Offline goosemonger

• View Profile

Re: First Iso Piece

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 01:56:39 am
The perspective seems fine. Your shadows are a bit off, the light source is coming from the top left, but the solar panel on the roof has a shadow from a light source directly above, also the building itself doesn't have shaded walls.

Try colouring the edges (outline) of the middle of the building a light colour to give it more depth. Uh it's kinda hard to explain.

One other thing, because the wall with the wire finishes at the base of the building and because it has no texture, it looks a little bit like it's the footpath lying flat and the wire fence is sitting at the bottom of the building. I'd say give it some texture and/or raise it up or lower it a bit.

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:31:37 am
it's a good thing, that you created the "open wall" and details like that  ;D, but the person in the window looks like an image and not like a "person in the window" - is it supposed to be like that?  ???

Ingo  :)

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 02:28:19 pm
I'm working on the updates now, but I have some stuff to do, so I'll probably post it in a few hours when I get back. I'm working on improving the man in the window, fixing a few shadows, and making the wall a bit taller. The more I look at the wall, the more it bothers me.

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:16:26 am
I fixed the wall, like goose said. And I think it's definitely improved. I think i want to keep the silhouette in the window, but I'm not sure about the solar panels. But I don't know what else I could put up on the roof. It would be kind of plain.

Offline goosemonger

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:06:02 am
I think you may have uploaded the wrong picture there mate. ;)

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:46:23 am
If u think of a cube (which is what ur building is) the extreamly basic shading rule is to have 1 side dark, 1 side medium and 1 side light (normally the top). The black lines on the inside of the piece seperating the sides from the top and serperating the two sides if you make that light aswell it makes it look smoother.

Also what was said before about the fence is right coz the top of the fenc is 1 pixel out of the bottom of the building it looks like it is flat, problems like this arise alot in iso so ur not the only one lol. Sometimes it works to your advantage though coz u can make impossbile objects (refering to MC ESHER)...... going off topic lol so ill end no...

:D
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 11:33:24 pm
I lightened the roof and darkened the brick on the front to make the shading better. Also, I raised up the wall a few pixels and removed a bunch of extra black outlines where they weren't needed. I think the adjustments helped.

Offline sporknife

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 12:48:51 am
I think you should use some of the darker greys there to better do the torn bricks on the side. the fence could use some more detail, and (again, with those grays you have) you could make some grime on the side and top. its coming along good for a first, though the solar panel on the top doesnt match the rest of the things general look.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 07:08:02 am
The windows still look like paintings on the wall, because the black outline around the whole window makes it stick out from the wall rather than making it seem a part of it and also because the left window doesn't give any indication of the thickness of the wall, the wall seems paper thin. It should be possible to see on the figure window the thickness of the wall inside the frame. Also, comparing the height of the door to the position of windows indicates that the window starts almost from the floor level of the second floor, so the character in the window must be sitting on the floor while the ceiling is almost too low for him to stand up.

He's taller than the door as well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:17:49 am by JJ Naas »