AuthorTopic: [WIP] Zombie game intro  (Read 4605 times)

Offline chanfan

• View Profile

[WIP] Zombie game intro

on: September 06, 2008, 10:33:55 pm
Hi! I'm new to this forum and I wanted to make a first post! ;D
I'm currently working on a 2D side scrolling adventure/action zombie game.
Here's a WIP of the intro sequence.
These are just keyframes. I will add more inbetweens as soon as I finish these.
I need C&C on everything so just let me know what you think!

Offline chanfan

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Zombie game intro

Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 03:43:27 pm
No one?

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 04:07:33 pm
It's good so far, i look forward to seeing it finished. The only problem I have right now is his arm when he presses the radio, it looks odd to me, too flat or something with the shading.

Keep it up tho, should be cool once its done.

Offline chimico

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 04:21:49 pm
i like it sooo much! it's very good and your patience on all those frames is praiseworthy. it's a pity you have to wait for comments, but the advice you're getting here is usually worth one day of waiting.
by now the way he leaves the deserted highway behind and gets in some kinda city isn't clear... and have you thought about street-lamps lighting the car's inside intermittently? that would be cool. keep on working on it  :)
uh, i agree about the arm, but i can't say why it looks odd... maybe the hand's shape misses a wrist.

Offline chanfan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 07:33:38 pm
Thanx for the comments  ;)
Yeah I'm thinking about adding a moving background in the in-truck views where you'll see street lights go by and eventually houses starting to appear.
I agree the arm adjusting the radio will need some more work! I can't figure out what's wrong with it either! Maybe someone else here can point it out!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:22:00 pm
The pixel art you've got thus far is competent, but I have to ask, how much thought did you put into the design of the main character? Sorry if this sounds harsh but he looks like any other action game main character ever. Does it HAVE to be a muscle joe with an American face? He's a trucker, can't he be fat with booze nose, or long-haired and dirty, or perhaps small-sized with pot-belly and a reclining hairline? Why are you keeping to stereotype so closely?

Offline chanfan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 03:08:27 pm
Thank you Helm!
Hehe, well that's a good question!
I actually wanted him to look like a steroetype muscle joe!  :-X
I needed him to look like he'd be able to beat up zombies with his bare hands!
So a straight forward tough guy was what I was after.
I know not everybody likes that, but I think it will work good in this game, also because
I don't want it to be a laughable character since I want the mood in the game to be grim and eerie.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 03:54:08 pm
Well ok you have your reasons but I don't think muscle joe is the only dude that my mind would accept to be able to beat up zombies in a video game, and I don't think the mood goes from GRIMM to LAUGHABLE if the main character has some personality. In fact I think it hurts any sort of 'serious' mood to have the main character jump out of the mid-90's arcade games zeitgeist.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 06:40:16 pm
I'm not really a fan of how you shaded his skin, mainly down the palette being to contrasty.  I'd add one or two buffer shades between the peach skin color and the brown.   Also the arm has rediculous anatomy, and it looks too divided.

I also agree with helm a bit - it would be nice to see a more original character

You have some solid keyframes I look forward to the end product :)