AuthorTopic: [WIP] (Nudity) Female character base slightly elevated view (not 3/4 anymore)  (Read 28024 times)

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] (Nudity) Female character base 3/4 top down view

Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008, 08:17:36 am
Well, I'll revert it back to the more normal legs, but fiddle around with the feet a bit more. However, I think that seen the progress I've already made and also seen that I've been fiddling with one sprite for over a month, I will have to say "good enough is good enough", at least for now, so I can finally start drawing all other poses for the base, and finally have some sprites to put in my game! :)

I also don't like the brush stuff TMW uses. Pixel art fro the win! :)  I will be using this game's tiles for testing, (which I can do because the art is also open source, like my game) but I'll replace them with my own further down the line. And, I do plan to make most pixel art myself, that is, unless I can find someone who is willing to help me and stick to the general style I'm currently headed to.  I like how it's turning out. Especially the face I have now on my sprite is my favourite "style". 
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 08:23:32 am by Beoran »
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 09:38:08 pm
If it is 3/4ths top view wouldn't you see more of the top of the shoulders?  Go get an action figure and duplicate that view, you'll see what i mean.

edit:  I took the liberty and took a picture for you.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #42 on: October 01, 2008, 04:48:03 am
I really suggest going with symbolic frontview on map, like PS4 (perhaps when I said 'there are reasons they did this' I should have explained them!) and not top-down!

Offline Beoran

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] (Nudity) Female character base slightly elevated view

Reply #43 on: October 01, 2008, 06:21:14 am
Yes, Helm,  I would love to hear your reasons, but I guess I kind of feel what you mean.  After all, the only RPG I know that died a genuine 3/4 view in the sprites is the 7th Saga, and I don't think that looks so good.  http://www.snesclassics.com/snes-roms/images/boxart/7th%20saga,%20the.jpg

Phantasy star 4 uses a simple front view, but I feel my first reference from Phantasy Star Chronicles, The Mana World, and even Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger use a "slightly elevated" symbolic front and side view.  That's why I'm aiming for such a "slightly elevated" view now. You know, front view with a hint of "above"-ness. I hope my current sprite captured that idea, although I'm open to suggestions as to hos to improve to that goal (like always).

Mike, thank you for that photo. However, my goal has changed a bit since I wrote my first post. I want to go with the slightly elevated front view. However, I think I can't change the title of this thread anymore? Edit: I can? OK, I did it to reflect my new goal.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:28:47 am by Beoran »
Kind Regards, Beoran.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
I agree 7th Saga main sprites don't look good for their angle. It creates this emotional distance to see your main character like that, as if you're god controlling peons on the overworld, whereas a story rpg should have ways to achieve a minimum of empathy for your protagonist. Looking at them in the eye is bare minimum for this.

I think your current sprite is good and you should move on to the next item in your todo list.